Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrellrg

HFGH base dimensions wrong

DarrellRG
9 years ago

I followed instructions in manual and cut the 4x4 base exactly (before i found this forum) to find that the dimensions are wrong. They were 1.5 inches long on the width and about 1 inch to short on the length. Decreasing the width wasn't too bad, just cut the end pieces and reattached.

The instructions show the front piece hanging out over the edge of the 4x4. That seems wrong, AND the back piece also had to hang out about half inch. I added a piece of 2x4 across the back. Slid every thing back and now my front piece sit back away from the edge. Anyone see a problem with doing it this way? It seems the slot for the sliding door would be stronger if it were fully sitting on the 4x4.

Comments (7)

• DarrellRG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may see the problem with my solution. As i look at pics in the "Building The 10x12" I see part #51 that seems to hook under that lip. I'm not sure if it's the same on the 6x8' version. I guess it's easy enough to scoot everything forward and create the overhang. It still seems like a weak spot if you step on it while entering. Anyone else figured out a different/better way to do the bottom of the door?

• changingitup
    9 years ago

Are you building a 10x12 or 6x8? We just did a 6x8 a couple of weeks ago. We did have to hang the door track over the 4x4 frame so that it was able to slide open and closed. Only our track didn't look like either of the pieces in your picture. It was more curved with a lower dip.

• changingitup
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the Gh frame attached to the wood base. I included the door so you can see how it slides along the over hang. The darker piece of wood is not part of the structure, just a planter that sits very near.

{{gwi:308812}}

{{gwi:308813}}

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

DarrellRG, the excellent photos posted by changingitup do a good job of showing how that small black plastic part 51 does have to hook under that lip, as you said. If you tried to just have part 51 sit on top of the track, and scoot along in that valley, your doors will "sort of" work, but they will be able to come off the track.

Sometimes, people assemble their doors this way by accident, so it's an issue that comes up a lot.

I've been stepping over that extended lip in my 10x12 for about 8 years now. I think I am used to it, and it's only rarely that I managed to catch my toe on it (usually, if I am lugging something in or out that is big and awkward, and I lose track of where my feet are!)

Also, we put our frame on a bit of a raised wooden frame, so I built some steps using stacked paver blocks, right outside my greenhouse door. So, even if I do accidentally step on the very edge of the bottom door track, it only flexes down a small distance before it makes contact with the concrete pavers. The pavers just tuck right under that lip, up snug against the greenhouse frame.

There are now two versions of the 10x12 kit for sale, and two versions of the 6x8. I know the newer version of the 10x12 kit doesn't have Part 51; they have somehow redesigned the bottom door track, and it's different. I don't know if this is true or not, for the 6x8. Just giving you a heads up, in case you look closely at the parts in your kit, and they don't quite seem to match up with some of the photos you see online.

Harbor Freight likes to keep us on our toes.

• DarrellRG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is a 6x8. According to local store the only model available now is #69714. Supposedly has replaced model #47712. I tried to get the 47712, it is rated higher. THEY told me that it's the same....who knows.

So i assembled my door just to answer my question about the lower slide/glide. It looks nothing like the other pics shown on this forum. I bought mine just a couple weeks ago. Attached are couple pics showing what i have. This setup allows me to recess the front of the entire greenhouse as to not suspend the flimsy bottom frame over the edge of the 4x4.

• DarrellRG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a better closeup of the bottom of the door guide/glide

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you, DarrellRG! Those are the first pictures I've seen of the redesigned door track, and door bottom. I'm guessing the newer version of the 10x12 will be the same.

That's probably an improvement. It was very easy to install the doors incorrectly, with the older design in the older kit, because it wasn't always clear how that Part 51 (in our older kits) had to wrap around and under the lip.

Your photos will help me do a better job of answering questions from others on my blog.

There aren't many differences between the two versions of the 10x12, so the 6x8 is probably the same; not many differences. I think you'll be fine with the newer version, and you may have fewer door problems than some have reported with the old.

Thanks again for the info. Now I have a thread to refer folks to, with good pics of the door track for both the older and newer versions. I'm a happy camper. Hope your build goes well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Building our Harbor Freight 10x12 Greenhouse

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor