Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron7_gw

greenhouse floor

aaron7
14 years ago

I have an opportunity to get a 40' by 80' GH with all the equipment for free! But since I am 14 yrs old I have a problem with buying gravel or cement for flooring because I can only spend 300$ on it. Any suggestions?

Aaron7

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

Congrats on obtaining the "free" greenhouse. On the other hand, I'm just surmising, but at 14 years old, you're most likely not exactly a seasoned and experienced DIYer. I would say determining what flooring material to use for a this 40' x 80' greenhouse, would be one of the simplest and least costly tasks you'll be faced with.

Have you considered the many expenses associated with excavating and pouring a concrete foundation, acquiring building permits, hiring a licenced electrician and HVAC contractor for installing and connecting service to the "equipment", dismantling and reassembling the metal (or wood) structure and all it's numerous connecting components, moving expenses and resetting all the glazing panels, possibly purchasing the new gasket material destroyed from the dismantling process . . . etc, etc?

Gives new meaning to being free . . . could it be the seller just wants it removed at no expense to him?

• PRO
    Steven Laurin & Company
    14 years ago

On further thought, it could also be that Aaron is just a troll, looking for replies to what may be a very unrealistic greenhouse structure size . . . 40' x 80'??? If that's correct, this building must have internal vertical posts + beams, or some serious structural trusses to support the glazed roof system.

• aaron7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First of all, you are absolutely right, I am not a very experienced DIYer. Second of all you are also right, I am absolutely sure that the flooring material is not going to be the most expensive part of this project. But it was the first thing I wanted to figure out. And I am positively sure the reason the seller is giving it to me at no cost is that they DO need someone who has been considering a greenhouse and can take it off their hands. Is it possible for a greenhouse to be 40' by 80'? The only other information I know about it is that it has two peaks and is on top of a 5ft wall of cement blocks. It was used by some friends of my dad for developing new orchid plants. ( they are to old to still do it.)
    anyway, I want to tackle the flooring first, do You have any suggestions?

• flounderdog
    14 years ago

Aaron7-how about black landscape fabric covered by what I have always heard called "crusher run"-the kind of thing you use on a gravel road or driveway. I get it for my driveway by the dump truck load and its relatively cheap. Perhaps you coul d cover one end of the greenhouse now and the rest as you get the money? Lucky guy-I wish someone would give me a greenhouse even if I did have to move it!

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Why do you want special flooring? Why not use soil, and improve it so you can grow directly in the greenhouse floor?

Some growers plant something like tomatoes directly in the floor of the greenhouse to get an early start, then open the ends to increase air flow when the weather warms up. Then they close it in again as the weather starts to get cooler, and harvest for a longer period than the folks who are subjected to the whims of the weather.

Just a thought. You would still need to securely anchor the greenhouse against wind.

Sue

• carlw
    14 years ago

aaron7,
    I think it is great you are interested in getting this greenhouse. You would be able to learn a lot. If you can get the frame apart and to your property, and it is in decent shape, get it. In terms of setting it up, your current budget is not even close to reasonable. At 3200 square feet this is a good size structure that will take a real foundation to be safe. Wind and snow loads on a structures like this require a good amount of concrete, and concrete, last i checked was about $110 a yard. I would guess your snow loads are low, but think of a hurricane blowing in and pushing 90 mph gusts against the glazing. Don't underestimate the pressure that creates.

Don't worry about the floor, that can be finished latter. You need to understand the engineering for the foundation that the house is currently sitting on, and see what will be required to duplicate it. You also need to look at the structures condition, see if replacement parts are available. Many times screws and bolts can be in poor shape and need replacing. I would bet that unless it is a glass house the glazing will need replacing. This is a big project that will take real money and a lot of time. Do some more research and go for it, even if it takes you a while to get it done right. Get some more specifics on the house and check back in here. Best of luck.

• baveld
    14 years ago

My favorite native plant nursery here has a floor of just the black landscape fabric. It works beautifully. If you are planning on siting this greenhouse to take full advantage of the sun, make sure the 80' length sits east to west and facing as close to due south as you can. The darker the floor, the better the sun's heat will be absorbed into the flooring.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

>> do You have any suggestions? Yeah, stop masquerading as someone you aren't.

Mike

• sfallen2002
    14 years ago

Couple comments to the OP

No rule says you have to put the GH up the same size you took down. You might want to consider putting up only half, or a fractional size (1/3?) Until you have a better handle on how this project needs to go down within your budget. You can make informed decisions then about what you can afford to do now, and what maybe has to wait.

Safety first, but concrete is not the only answer. You may not have to heat, so electric may not be necessary.

In my opinion, the most important things you gotta be concerned with:
    1 wind - you must secure your structure against wind. Maybe you get to have the owners cement walls - take tons of pics, enough so you understand how they did it and so you could explain to someone else how they did it. You do not need a foundation. If you really want ti involve cement, dig some 3f holes, put a bucket of gravel in the bottom, tamp well, put your gh support in the hole and fill w/1 bag cement-soil mix.

2 - make sure you have a way to vent the structure. Even in cool weather this structure can overheat. Vents can be simple - a door on each end - or you can use automatic (temperature based) vent mechanisms.
    3 - wind. Secure your covering as tight as you can and tighter. Once your covering starts to flap it's only a matter of time until it weakens.

You can do this - look for simple way to do things ( if you have to secure posts, you can tamp raw earth into the holes. Any medium to heavy soil will hold it in place w/o cement - that's just one example).

Congrats on recycling someone elses structure and good luck to you. Oh, and
    4 - read Eliot Colemen 4 season harvest for some cold gh/hh management & info
    5 - have fun and don't get discouraged. Keep asking ??s.

• aaron7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you for your help,
    I may be able to get some experience this year by working in my uncle's greenhouse, thank you sfallen2002, belgianpup, baveld, carlw and flounderdog for your help.
    Mike? why do I want to be somebody else?
    Thank you everyone who answered my post,
    Aaron

• crabbcat
    14 years ago

I have reclaimed brick for the floor in my greenhouse, just put it down on the dirt and sanded it in, works perfect and the water runs right through it.

• Paulette990
    9 years ago

I want to know how that 14 yr old in 2009 is doing now?!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths