Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyk_gw

where to purchase an Empire furnace?

nancyk
13 years ago

We have an outbuilding, 1,100 sq. ft, well insulated, that we have been heating w/a woodstove. We have decided it is time to get rid of splitting and carrying wood and go to propane heat. We like the specs on the Empire propane furnace, 55,000 btu's, direct vent(dv-55e). The prices on the internet seem very high. Is there any site or dealer that is recommended? Or perhaps another type of heater you could suggest? This heater would not be run every day and sometimes not even every week, just when we need to work in the shop and it is cold. So spending $2,500 on the heater plus a propane tank setup is not in the picture. Thanks.

Robert

Comments (9)

• tom_va
    13 years ago

Do you have to have a wall-mount heater? We use "unit" heaters that we hang from a simple wooden frame. We use Modine, Reznor, and Sterling. Other companies make them as well in a variety of sizes in both propane and natural gas.

A link to Reznor is below; ours all look similar to this one and are in the 200,000 btu range. We have several used ones we picked up at a warehouse that we'd sell if you lived close to southwest VA.

Regards,

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Reznor

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wall mount unit is desired, as we need to go direct-vent. The outbuilding is very tight. And we are near sw VA., if you have anything else wall-mount that would be in the 55,000 btu range.

• tom_va
    13 years ago

Sorry, but all we have are the unit heaters, which are direct vent (natural, not forced). I do have a smaller one but I don't know how big it is. I'll look around for something similar to what you're wanting....

Where are you located? We have a small, family-owned/operated commercial greenhouse business close to where I-77 and I-81 cross.

Regards,

Tom

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are about 1 1/2 hrs. sw of Abingdon. No one around here knows anything(truly)about the direct vent heaters. They will tell you something that is out-and-out misleading and usually incorrect. We find we are having to do our own information gathering and know what we want then order it. My husband is still not 100% on his understanding of the direct vents.What some call direct vent is not what another would direct vent. We do know we do not want vent-free or ventless, the building is too tight. And we would prefer to not have a fluepipe.

Nancy

• penfold2
    13 years ago

As far as I know, a direct vent heater (also called separated combustion) has both the intake and exhaust vented outdoors. They also use a concentric vent (smaller exhaust pipe inside larger intake pipe) to increase efficiency by heating the incoming air. A unit heater can be direct vent just like a wall mount heater. The only difference is the wall mount heater takes up less space and has no visible ducts. Some heaters are called vented because the exhaust is vented out, but they still draw air from inside the room, so they are not direct vent.

I considered all the brands Tom mentioned when buying my direct vent heater, but ended up buying a wall mount Empire to conserve space in my greenhouse. I bought mine from Grainger, but couldn't suggest any models for you since I was looking at the 20,000 BTU range.

• tom_va
    13 years ago

Try calling Mize in Johnson City, Tn: 800-321-8161. Don't know if they carry Empire but they might can steer you in the right direction.

I'll keep digging.

Regards,

Tom

• nancyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We just purchased an Empire dv-55e, online through ACF Greenhouses. Thanks.

Nancy

• schephali
    10 years ago

I recently went through the process of selecting a new furnace myself. http://www.furnaceschoice.com is one of the best sites I found giving furnace reviews. It compares prices, quality, heat rating and many more factors across all the leading brands to tell you what your optimal furnace is.

• tankturner
    9 years ago

search google or yellowpages for your local heating & cooling contractor. high efficiency gas furnaces are standard these days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditining Heating Contractors Richmond Hill

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES