Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about construction of a lean-to greenhouse

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 20:02

I have a friend who wants to construct an attached, lean-to greenhouse consisting of a wood frame and salvaged, double-pane windows and a sliding glass door. The footprint would probably be about 8' X 10' or 8' X 12'. The backside of the greenhouse would be a south facing wall. This wall is a garage wall clad in wood siding; it is insulated, and the garage is heated. We live in the Pacific NW and the winters are mild: most of the season it only goes below freezing for a few days.

Here is the issue. He wants to attach the structure directly to the existing exterior wall, but I raised a concern with him that he might end up with some kind of moisture problem within the wall. Can anybody advise on whether this is something to worry about? And, if so, what is the best way to deal with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about construction of a lean-to greenhouse

I think I would use something like Tyvek house wrap against that wall from inside the lean-to. It breaths but keeps moisture out.

o

I built mine exactly this way. My siding is the hardy plank. Of course without opening the wall I wont know if any moisture gets in but I will suggest that he puts a good bead of caulk around the outside frame and all should be good. Teds ideas of the Tyvek is a good one also.

Mike

o

Would a brick house need Tyvek?

o

For what it's worth.

My first greenhouse was a pit/leanto built onto the side of a garden shed. It was 8x12 and had a door leading into the shed. The moisture from the GH got into the shed and the drywall panels i used to finish the shed ceiling (was a nice shed!) all sagged like 3-4 inches! I might not have had that issue if I used greenboard but i don't know.

The shed was 12x12.

The point being, there is considerable moisture in the GH.

Note: I did use a rubber membrane along the south wall to prevent moisture from getting into the wall framing.

o

poppa-
Thanks for the info. Did the shed wall have any kind of tarpaper or other moisture barrier under the siding? Was it very moist inside the greenhouse? And did you heat the greenhouse?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here