Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calculating greenhouse plastic

Posted by salvage_queen 29583 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 20:46

How do you calculate how much plastic you need? My greenhouse is going to be 35' x 60' arch type and 12' tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calculating greenhouse plastic

Queen,
You need to give more information at to the shape of your GH. Does it have straight walls? Is it like a quanset hut and a true 1/2 circle? If it has straight walls how tall are they?

1eyedJack and the Dawg

o

Here is a link to a greenhouse area calculator. It is primarily for heater calculations, but it gives the surface area, which is the amount of plastic needed. Just subtract any parts not to be covered with plastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse surface area calculator

o

Doubt whether help provided by that link, Cuestaroble. If Salvage Queen measures the arch all his problems would be solved; well not quite. I don't have an exact answer either but most references recommend that for any arch type structure you simplify the math by ignoring the height and using the width as the diameter (35 ft. in your case).

Then the width of film needed would be calculated by the formula: 1/2 * 3.14 * 35 = 55. Naturally, if you order a 56' wide sheet of film it will leave you with a few extra feet on each side. The next smaller size that I've seen available is 52' and that won't be enough unless you have raised kneeboards. I use 48' wide sheets on my 30' structure with a little to spare.

My only advise- Don't cut yourself short in the width.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here