Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heebiejeebie

How to Add shelves to HFGH?

heebiejeebie
17 years ago

I see that some of you somehow added shelves to your HFGH by screwing bolts into the channels.

Can anyone give me an idiot-proof description of how to do this? Do the shelves need support?

Comments (14)

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

I have no idea what the channels on a HFGH look like, but if they can be bolted into, check out the coated steel shelving sold for closets.

They are easy to install and for what they will hold, pretty innexpensive. The brackets are sold to match the depth of the shelves, which are available from 12 to about 22 inches.

I like them for the open design of the shelves, which allows air circulation. I replaced all of the old wood shelves in my panrty with the coated wire shelves a few years and was amazed at the weight they will hold.

• milwdave
    17 years ago

Just about anything used for the Juliana line of greenhouse will work in a HFGH...however...VERY expensive. I use the plastic coated open closet shelves mentioned above. I use the T-Bolts sold from Charley's Greenhouse Supply to attach them to the channels. It takes 3 T-Bolts per support and for safety sake I use 3 supports per 8 ft. shelf. Works like a charm.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• milwdave
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention. The shelves also add rigidity to the structure itself...so it's a 'win/win' deal.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• heebiejeebie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm surprised that the shelves don't need any additional support!

• milwdave
    17 years ago

well if you're like me you have a ton of clothes hanging from them not to mention what's piled on top...never had one fail yet!

Dave
    Milwaukee

• cowcatcher
    17 years ago

Dave mentioned the rubber maid closet shelving - that is what we were going to use! It would have easily been $60 per side and only maybe 18 inches wide and comparativley light weight.

We have some heavy over-winter plants that I would never dare "hang" off the HFGH superstructure. The shelves we ended up with are really heavy duty, 28" wide and not dependent on the HFGH for support.

I found 28" x 4 foot sections of heavily rubber coated dog kennel grates and matching drip pans. These are designed to go into the bottom of the kennel to keep Rover dry and out of his P n P. Mine are supported end to end by 2x4's on secure legs. 2 sections per side in a 6x8 HFGH gives 18 SF of growing space - enough for probably 14 standard flats. Double that for both sides. Room below for other floor shelving. $100 bucks did both sides of our HFGH, plus our 24 inch extension from the house. These things retail for $50 for the grates alone plus close to $25 for the plastic drip pans. I got mine from a local guy here in Wisconsin that recyles manufacturer's defects - I have no idea whats wrong with them but they work perfect, wont break and cant rust. $25 for the wire rack and drip pan. If someone wants some, I can see what I can unearth - this guy beats to his own drum so no time guarantees - I can warp'em in heavy cardboard and send them FedEx ground which shouldnt be too expensive. Photos on link below.
    Steve Van Wie
    Wisconsin

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH home addition -shelving pics here

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

Instead of bolting to the frame, you can also go with a freestanding unit. I bought a super heavy duty chrome- plated shelving system from Costco: Six feet high; six wire shelves (18" X 48"), height-adjustable; 4 large wheels provided if you want mobility. You can also split it into two units, 3' high each. Cost: $72. There is also a 4-shelf unit with 18" X 36" shelves for $60, and a 4-shelf unit with 18" X 48" shelves for $68. Here is a picture of the two 4-shelf units.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelf Units

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

DH doesn't think the frame of the HFGH is strong enough to bolt anything to it....I want a shelf over the pond so I can put trailing plants on it to use some of that space. A closet type shelf would be ideal.

• milwdave
    17 years ago

trust me...it's strong enough.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Thank you, I will trust you. I am rather new to Garden Web (had issues with Spike) but have been gardening online since 1999 and have learned much and met some fabulous people.

What is frustrating to me with the greenhouse and was also with pond plumbing is that my brain is not the slightest mechanically inclined. I can read mechanical/technical things over and over and still not get it. I can't explain to DH if I don't get it.

• gardenut
    17 years ago

I am hoping to get the HFGH for Christmas (My husband was all for it when he saw the price compared to the $3000 GH that I was wanting). These closet shelves that you are talking about, these can be bolted to the frame and no "legs"? Hubby cannot except this so I wanted to ask before I get some of those for Christmas too.

Also living in zone 5, will I be able to over winter hardy perennials in this GH without insulating or extra heat? I am one who buys all the perennials at the end of the year for 75% off but they don't all get in the ground before winter so I need to put them somewhere. Would also love to start annuals and veggies early in the spring.

The only thing that worries me about this GH is that the walls are single paned and I am not sure what I need to do if anything about this.

Thanks!
    Vicki

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

Gardenut, I don't have a HFGH, but I'm pretty sure the walls are 4mm twinwall polycarb. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

HeebieJeebie, were you the one who needed T-bolts or captive bolts? If you don't need too many, email me your addy and I'll send you some for your shelves.

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

gardenut,

If you are trying to over winter perennials that are hardy in your zone your best bet is to just get them in the ground. Don't bother putting them where they are eventually going to be just dig holes and drop them in.

A greenhouse with no heat thaws everything during the day and then freezes it again at night. You need to freeze the perennials and keep them frozen.

That is what the layer of mulch does in the fall. Protects them from the freeze/thaw cycle.

• joeurda
    17 years ago

After a couple of weeks of assembly I am finally ready for plants. Check out my site below to see how I put together my shelving.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 x 12 HFGH with shelving and potting bench

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath