Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellybell_gw

Calling all smart people.. Lets talk PCM's

KellyBell
11 years ago

Please forgive my ignorance as i am a grandmother and a medicine woman trying to care for my little lake side community and only educated enough to take advantage of the expertise of those with the education, but I have had these subjects of thermal mass and PCM's swimming in my head for weeks in the planning of a (Passive)4 season greenhouse here in Oklahoma...
honestly heating is not my problem as it is dec 1st and 72 degrees outside today. we are in a record drought and the summers are reaching 114 for more days than i care to remember. I live out in the country where our power is never reliable as we are always the last to be reached in a crises( after every thunderstorm)..LOL and as of this date i haven't the money for a solar set up...I need to "COOL" my green house... Im thinking of digging down 4 feet (a walipini style. Ive read that the ground temp is a little over 50 degrees at 4 ft deep( not including any solar warmth.. I'm wondering if You might have any advice about my plan...Please make it simple...LOL

Oh and BTW has anyone considered a encapsulated soy wax?..isnt this the Phase change material that is being considered for so many new building materials now? wall board and bubble cloth?
Ive seen something like this put in pvc tubes, caped on the end and applied to the north wall for temp consistency in one application and now they are making this available for a pretty penny Im sure....is this worth trying to do myself? any help or advice would be so appreciated!..

Comments (2)