Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

Ping dcarch Photos for you - Dax

conifers
16 years ago

I'm broke dcarch, my momma is broke, and so is my pappa. Everything is to code and I consider my house to be the work of a master craftsman.

Blueprints were written by Menards, My home is wonderful. Last weekend we had 50 mile an hour winds with freezing rain and it was a peaceful as any other day inside my home. One windgust gave me a good shake but other than that, nothing.

There's an 8 foot rod buried that's attached to my electrical box and all my plumbing is copper. The deck balustrades are spaced so a woman's high heel shoe won't fit through them (that's stretching it) nor on the deck surface, will her shoe get stuck because the boards were properly attached to allow for shrinkage. Next spring, I'll waterseal the deck after all the shrinkage occrs. RE: this lightening rod, my computer and everything else you can think of actually will not be damaged should lightening occur. Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, all these stores would have sent a lightening rod if that's how homes were to be built. Thanks for thinking of me.

Your #2: I have so many vents (from the inside of the garage and all surrounding parts of the home except the deck where the car siding was used for aestetic purposes) that, I can sleep at night knowing condensation will never be a factor.

Here are some photos so you can see that I'm very happy with what I do have and to rememdy our discussion. I consider this matter to be finalized.

Thank you sir,

Dax

Venting throughout:

{{gwi:310320}}

{{gwi:310321}}

{{gwi:310322}}

{{gwi:310323}}

{{gwi:310324}}

Comments (15)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

Indeed, the additional photos show the construction is properly done and beautifully done.

Good attic ventilation.
    Not bad anchorage of roof truss framing.
    8' ground rod to electric box is good.
    4" ballastrade spacing requirement is to prevent a baby's head from getting thru.

Final suggestions:
    Store away enough spare wood planks/paneling for unexpected future replacement. This way you will have wood aged the same to match.
    Use UV floor finishes indoors whereever sunlight can get to. Wood gets bleached by sunlight fairly quickly.

Congratulations. When is the house warming party? :-)

dcarch

• milwdave
    16 years ago

It's AWESOME Dax....I agree with dcarch...housewarming?

Dave

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's a beautiful home.

Thank you GUYS!

Dax

• snasxs
    16 years ago

It is lovely but please take fire safety into consideration.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

It's a beautiful home. I'm sure you and your parents will be very happy there. :)

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Dax,

Your home is beautiful. You have done a great job! I love the rustic look and feel of the wood. If I understand your post right this was a kit from Menards and you have taken on the building yourself? Nice!

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Listen guys, I don't have time worrying about a hair width crack in some caulking or anything else. My blueprints were re-written from a very simple and basic plan my mother and I drew and correspondingly, all materials were brought to the job site just like any other home. Anything can catch on fire. This is a bunch of crap, worry about your own home.

Greenhouser, I'm a loner meaning I live alone. I love my family. Maybe if I get well, then someday I'll have a wife but until I'm ready, that's not a possibility. I have delusional disorder/schizophrenia and this is a resting place for me so I can get well while having enough property to garden, propagate, and keep my mind busy year-round. My parents they are helping me live a more comfortable lifestyle.

ladylotus and others thanks. If you were here, you wouldn't ever want to leave this house. However, I did not build it. My friend and contractor knows how much I like my home.

Thanks, and thanks for stopping the what if's. I've never lived thinking I was going to die just because it's possible to hit a deer with my automobile or if I were to be walking in the woods and a tree fell on me. I've got more important things to think about and franky, that's a bunch of non-sense. I'll write IFFFFF a tornado comes through and destroys everything. Then those of you who like to gossip can have something to talk about.

Have a nice day,

Dax

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I noticed the trees in the frames over the fireplace. Are these some of your trees you have grown? I have been growing some of the cypress trees and find them rather beautiful. Love the evergreen trees.
    Everything looks great. That 5 acres will be fun to play around in.
    Rob

• jba3fan
    16 years ago

Dax, Nice looking home you and your mom designed! From what I have seen from your photo album the construction of your house is well done. Thats what I have been doing for a living for the last 30+ years, framing houses. I think the problem in the construction field is that there are too many people sitting on their A**'s in some office trying to justify their $100,000.00 a year pay checks. Who have never picked up a hammer weighing more then 16 ounces, and have never built anything bigger then a dog house. I didn't read anywhere where you came onto this site asking why the inspectors failed anything on this house. So I don't understand other people who want to find fault in some pictures that don't show much detail.

I am wondering how the cost difference is between using all T&G pine instead of using sheetrock.

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, thanks. I'd like to fill you in with the cost's differences but, it's just too time consuming. I have about 1120 square feet but that doesn't include cubic feet which include the ceilings. All I know is that Pinus strobiformis was the wood used. Sorry about that. My mom has a paperwork file probably a foot tall with a brick on it, if not more, and she'd have to scroll through all of it!

Orchidude, them's be some photos I printed before when I had a color printer but now I have a black only laser so I can print tags and it's just more of a machine. As far as I'm concerned a color printer is for the dark ages.

I saw photos of your greenhouse plants last winter and you have some wonderful tropicals... looks to me like you need to get some more trees started and me vice-versa. I haven't peeked at your current threads but I'll check em out. I'm sure you have some Orchid photos in yer home! I believe thru today I've photographed conifers including some Acer's in the plus 1000's, but the ones on top of my mantle aren't all mine. I had to borrow a few. Cupressus is your gig. Sweet. Gonna put in a lot of Alaskan Cypress here. Such a wonderful Genus.

Later on,

Dax

• krayers
    16 years ago

Dax, - what a wonderful home. I do love your rustic style. We put similar walls in my daughters house but used poplar boards. I'm sure you're going to love it there. Five acres is wonderful! We only have 2, but have it full of hardwoods. I really need some evergreens.

Enjoy your new space. - Kim

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kim, thank you. You may check into The Genus Cedrus, Thuja/Platycladus, (Picea abies & smithiana), Juniperus, Thujopsis, and the species of Chamaecyparis: pisifera, obtusa, nootkatensis, thyoides; The Genus Cunninghamia and the Genus Cryptomeria (japonica), for starters for your Tennessee location. Pines worth growing: Pinus: rigida, peuce, virginiana, strobus, resinosa, taeda, monticola, jeffreyi, Ponderosa (P. ponderosa, both subspecies scopulorum and ponderosa), pungens, serotina, strobiformis, banksiana, & echinata. These will all fair well for you. Afternoon shade for young seedlings only will be very desirable! Site suitability judgement is essential but also has significant unpredictability, so there is no wisdom that will ever completely replace the trial and error approach. Generally it is better long-term to have selected a site that is on the dry side and which requires watering for the first few years over a wetter site, even though early growth rates may be better in the latter. Early rapid growth will not be correlated with long-term success.

Good luck Kim! Regards,

Dax

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kim you can add:

Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Deciduous)
    Pseudolarix amabilis (Deciduous)
    Sequoiadendron giganteum
    Libocedrus decurrens

No question about it. Your best true Cedar will be Cedrus atlantica.

Dax

• krayers
    16 years ago

Dax, Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've printed the list to take with me when I look for seedlings. We are primarily on the dry side here, so it seems that that will be to our advantage. Our main problem will be to find areas that get enough light due to all of the mature trees on our property. I've got a few clearings in mind where I'd love to try a few.

Thanks again!

Kim

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure!

Dax