Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markmahlum

aphids- yellow sticky cards

markmahlum
14 years ago

Has anyone had experience using yellow sticky cards for aphid control? I have some houseplants that I soon hope to transfer to my nearly completed greenhouse. The problem is, they are seriously infested with aphids. I eventually want to introduce lacewings or some other biological control but I'm not ready for that yet and I don't want to introduce these pests into my new greenhouse.

Mark Mahlum

Comments (10)

• calliope
    14 years ago

They are best used just to monitor for the presence of aphids.....not in control Most aphids would rather be on your plants sucking the life out of them, than exploring sticky cards.

• markmahlum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What's the best method of getting rid of those little suckers on houseplants?

Mark

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

If they are house plants (not fruits or veggies), try systemic insecticide.

dcarch

• fuzzymoto
    14 years ago

We use a simple soap and water spray to get rid of them. If you have cats (like we do) then using a systemic on a plant that our cats may choose to chew on isn't an option.

• tom_va
    14 years ago

Use either Tristar or Orthene---both pretty expensive if you have a small hobby greenhouse but they work. They may not be available locally; they tend to be a commercial product but, to my knowledge, they are not restricted to people needing pesticide permits.

Of course, read the labels.

Regards,

Tom

• agardenstateof_mind
    14 years ago

Somewhere I read about flour - ordinary baking flour. Put it in a stocking and dust the plant with it, about an hour later, come back and the aphids will be all shriveled like tiny green raisins - and quite dead - give the plant a shower to wash them (and the flour) off. I've tried it and it really does work. Of course, I would not recommend this for African violets or any other plants with fuzzy leaves.

Two theories to explain how it works: 1. it clogs their spiracles (breathing pores) 2. the flour absorbs the moisture, dessicating these tiny soft-bodied insects.

Did you know aphids are born pregnant? It boggles the mind.

• sandy0225
    14 years ago

Aphids are one of the easiest to get rid of. Also check for ants which may be bringing the aphids in. Aphids will die with a simple soap spray or you can buy insecticidal soap. for the simple soap spray, 1T cooking oil and 1T dish soap or suave shampoo in a gallon of warm water. shake and spray all surfaces of the plant to the point of runoff. Repeat often until theyre gone.

• imstillatwork
    14 years ago

I always use ladybugs first. They generally work great in my little 10x20ft greenhouse. outside they just fly away lol.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Heat a quart of water until it simmers, not a hard boil. Crush and finely dice 3 cloves of fresh garlic. Pour the water into a half gallon plastic milk jug, add garlic, screw on cap and sit it under a warm light for a week. Strain water through a coffee filter in a funnel. Spray the plants with the mixture. It really works well when I sit the jug in the summer sun and it should work OK if you use a light to keep the water warm.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

tsmith-- garlic is a good mild fungacide too--great for dampening off. I do mine in the blender. I throw in several cloves of garlic and a little warm water and whirl it in the blender until it is pulverized. Then I pour it into a jar and add hot tap water and let it sit in a warm place for a couple of days. If you have forced air on top of a register is good. Then I strain into a spray bottle and you are good to go.

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional