Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Midwest snow storm..........

rosepedal
16 years ago

Well we made it through. I would definately reccomend a snow load brace and wood braces going across the roof and tied into the frame. We are not heating the gh right now so the snow accumilated on the roof. I went out there and took a handle and on the inside of the gh I poked the panels gently until the snow slides off the roof. I definatly see the panels bough with the weight of the snow. They are calling for more snow tommorow and saturday. Yipee it is gonna be a white christmas in the midwest. I wouldnt give the snow up for nothing. We can grow peonys here due to the cold weather. nothing looks or smells better than a peony in the spring time. Come on snow....... Time to build a snowman

{{gwi:33864}}

{{gwi:33865}}

{{gwi:33866}}

{{gwi:33867}}

Comments (17)

• alia
    16 years ago

Please post a photo when it's all lit up with those holiday lights. I bet it's lovely!

Alia

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

That's good information about the snow. Looks like you have at least 4"? 5"? on the greenhouse? Someone asked me the other day if I thought the HFGH 10x12 could take a few inches of snow for a short time, and I told them I thought it probably could, but I really didn't have any experience to know for sure. I guess a heated greenhouse would cause the snow to slide off...but an unheated greenhouse would be much more at risk?

Beautiful pictures Barb!

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mudhouse, I think even with a heated gh if you have a heavy and fast falling snow it would still accumulate. Say a person heats their gh to 50 or 55 at night I am willing to bet that the snow will stay on the roof. The panels appear to be not that strong to me. Especially the vents. My opinion is to keep the roof cleared and safe. If you want to use the pictures for your blog go ahead. I posted them on the other gh site (grin). It was about 4 inches. I wouldnt let all the snow accumalte on the roof I cleared it a couple times. We have another 10 inches coming through the weekend. I might turn the heater on just to see if the snow does melt. By the way we ran the heater for 24 hours. We got our gas bill in and it was less than last year and last year was colder. We havent put up bubble wrap or solar cover yet. I thought that was interesting. I found the 48" bubble wrap on ebay. Pretty cheap not as much as the moving places around here. They were not cheap.......

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting about your snow experience. I agree, I'd try to keep my roof as clear as possible, too. I think posting your experience here will help others in the future. If I lived in a heavy snow area that would be one of the questions at the top of my list before buying a HFGH.

10 more inches, wow. If I was you, I'd be very glad to have that sturdy wooden framework in place, too! Even if there are antlers tacked to them! ;-)

• C Schaffner
    16 years ago

That looks so cool. I don't know if I could live in snow. I am COLD at 50 degrees, I guess I could get use to it.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pelicanhead I was born and raised in San diego Calif. Navy brat. I have to say WI has been my favorite place to live. It really is nice having the four seasons of the year. I am envious of all the flowers you can go grow though and down south also. Especially all the cactus you are lucky........

Mudhouse I made him put the antlers on better so they could not bonk me in the head again. I cant wait to get in there and play........I have growlights all over the kitchen. Baby hostas have popped their heads up whohoo

• gardenerwantabe
    16 years ago

I got 6 inches today. I did nothing to remove the snow we had 9 inches last winter and it did not hurt anything.
    If we get a foot or more then I may drag some off but 6 inches isn't enough to cause me to worry

• birdwidow
    16 years ago

Snow, and more snow here, about 40 miles south of Chicago.

I really only ordered my GH with a curved eave because I liked the looks of it, but a bonus of the design is that it causes snow to slide off long before it can accumulate enough weight to affect the structure. So it drops down and piles up around the sides, further insulating.

But as much as I too love the seasons, I love some far more than others. Okay- we have had snow. Now I'm ready for the daffodils.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I designed and built my greenhouse myself in 1992. On March 13, 1993 we had the snowstorm of the century with 13 inches of heavy, wet snow. My greenhouse is a steep pitched modified A frame structure. The glazing is corrugated polycarbonate. Other greenhouses with more conventional roofs collapsed from the weight of the heavy snow load. I watched numerous times as the snow was shed from my greenhouse in a mini-avalanche. The heat inside was just enough to keep the plants from freezing so I don';t believe heating had much effect on shedding the snow.

• chris_in_iowa
    16 years ago

alia,

Your post really made me smile!

""Please post a photo when it's all lit up with those holiday lights. I bet it's lovely!""

I can just imagine rosepedal all set up to take a photo with it all lit up and pretty like when BANG out goes the power....

Four days later still with no power and just one candle left...

Our winters can be beautiful, but deadly.

I have a double layer poly greenhouse and if the snow builds up too much I connect a shop-vac to the inflation tube and let it blow, let it blow, let it blow!!!!

:)

• gardenerwantabe
    16 years ago

I have a double layer poly greenhouse and if the snow builds up too much I connect a shop-vac to the inflation tube and let it blow, let it blow, let it blow!!!!

And if the power goes off you do what????????

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gardenerwantabe,
    This is a wet snow. There is a difference in weight between a wet snow and dry snow. I would not let 6 inches of wet snow accumalate on a hfgh after seeing with my own two eyes the panels boughing. This is my opinion of course. I spent way too much money and effort to watch a pile of snow take down my toy. I am so happy that we placed the 1x2 going across the ceiling panels into the frame.........It seems to help with the weight of the snow. I would highly recommend this.........Alia I was going to take pics last night but is was way to cold to go out. In the gh right this minute it is -3.5. Brrrr We did blow the circuits last year with the christmas lights. I took it easy this year.......(grin)

• chris_in_iowa
    16 years ago

If the power goes out I use the 12v blower that I use in the spring.

Slower to inflate but does the job.

Failing that a soft broom on the inside gets the avalanch started.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Bring it on!

Been waiting to snowboard in some deep fluff forever.

Dax

• gardenerwantabe
    16 years ago

The snow that I had was wet but it was not a problem I guess the extra bracing that I used made a difference because it holds up just fine.

Like you I worried about snow load my first winter but after seeing what it has been through In the last two winters I don't get so nervous when it snows.

They say two more inches tonight.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dax are you still looking for tree seeds? Do you need redbud or blueberry bush seeds ? You can grow them in the gh. (staying on topic grin) Barb

• conifers
    16 years ago

Barb thanks for the kind offer, I don't need either (I'm really boosted up as things be). Just another 3 feet of snow and I'm dialed!

Take care,

Dax