Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indyrose_gw

Injector fertizer systems

indyrose
15 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but I post on other Garden Web forums regularly...

I have an older Lords and Burnum (sp?) greenhouse, approx 16' x 20'. I've used it since we moved in 9 years ago, but this spring I hope to really put it into some higher production for some sales. So far I've only used to winter over my tender perennials (glads, amarylis, cannas, dahlias, corms/bulbs/tubers as well as resting impatients, begonia and geranium plants) and start some veggies and bedding plants for my own use.

Last year I installed a mist/drip irrigation system that I like a lot, and this year I hope to add a fertilizer injection system. I've been reading a lot about the different types, and I believe for this small an operation, a venturi system would be good for starters.

I've also heard "rumors" of a system involving a trash barrel and a sump pump, but I haven't found any specifics on building/using that. Can someone enlighten me on that?

In the past I haven't done much in the way of using fertilizers other than to buy the pre-fertilized bags of soil from the local hardware stores. I hope to get better soil to work with this year, too, and control things a bit better.

(I've been giving myself a crash course on greenhouse fertilization.) What I'd like to get going are bedding plants and other seedlings, and propagating a number of rex begonias and geraniums (Pelargoniums, really) that I have, among a smattering of this and that of various other plants...

Can I get some advise on how to set up a small-time fertilizing system for what I'm wanting to do here?

Indyrose

Indianapolis, IN

Comments (9)

• stanhill2000
    15 years ago

I use a 55 gal plastic drum with a 700 gal a minute mag drive pump. 1/2 in line to your plants and sprayers or drippers connected to that. Add a small digital timer. Now mix your stuff for 50 gal of water. I use organic fert. so I use sprayers, they will not plug up like drippers will. You have to add a small hole in your 1/2 inch line just above water level so it will spray back in to barrel. This will cure any siphon action after the pump shuts off.
    Hope this gets you going!

• indyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why doesn't a 700 gal/min pump blow all the fittings? How do you regulate the pressure?

Indyrose

• indyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why doesn't a 700 gal/min pump blow all the fittings? How do you regulate the pressure?

Indyrose

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

Farmtek sells a very good injector for $229. They have a 5% discount code that I can e-mail to you that will get you 5% off the total price until 1/3 also. I wouldn't mess around with any of these janky do it yourself solutions (sorry to the other posters!)
    I've used mine now for about 5 years and no problems with it at all.
    You mix up your fertilizer 100 times stronger than you want it and it will mix it properly into your hose water. It's accurate at any flow rate you'd put it through from a drip to full blast. I did used to use those dramm venturi siphon type things before and they are a total waste of money. Not accurate at all, and clogged up easily.
    If you'd like to come up and see our setup, e-mail me because we're just up in Muncie, not that far away.
    TTYL
    Sandy

• stanhill2000
    15 years ago

Indyrose,
    700 gal/min is free flow the pressure is not that high have been using it for 7 years with no problems they use pumps just like it for fountains and ponds. The mixture is as accurate as you make it. My setup cost me $100.00 including 100 sprayers and lines. The injectors are great but it would take 1 or 2 and sometimes 3 depending on what your using for fert. Never measured the pressure but I would guess it's maybe 20lbs at the most. They rate them by head pressure, the pump I use list head pressure 25'. that is the ability to life the water 25' up the hose. It all depends how often you want to measure out Fertilizer and how much money you have. I have 3 greenhouses and 3 systems like I describe. Good luck

• fuzzymoto
    15 years ago

Odd....but I just answered a similar question in another thread. I may be missing the details of what you're trying to setup....but...

For years I've used a drip irrigation system from dripworks.com. They sell a fertilizer injection system that I've also used for years. It's a tank with several hoses that allow the suction of the water running into your drip irrigation system to siphon the fertilizer into the mix also. You can adjust in several ways, but we use a low dose (low settings) that put a small amount of fertilizer into the mix every time we water. You can also set that higher and turn on and off the tank as needed. I think my 3/4 gallon tank was about $50 plus fertilizer.

In our greenhouse we've just setup a similar system with irrigation and misting. We built separate systems so we can mist our greenhouse with water only (no fertilizer) and irrigate WITH fertilizer. The tank also has screens to block particles from jamming up you injectors...and no pumps or electricity is required.

Simple or did I miss the details of your question?

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

You don't need separate injectors to run different fertilizers. Just change the container of fertilizer that it pulls from. You can run an infinite number of different fertilizers as long as you change over. I just pull the hose from one to the other a few plants before I want the switch to take place to allow the fertilizer in the hose to run out. And if you want to run clear water only, just throw the intake into a bucket of clear water, then it injects water only. Easy! I run up to five different fertilizers that way with no problems.

• stanhill2000
    15 years ago

we are talking about two different things. Some people use fert elements that can not mixed together in concentrated amounts. Then it requires 2 and some time 3 injectors like DOSMATIC Injectors and Chemilizer Injector thees are true injectors. look at a Anderson ratio injection system for further explanation. The suction type that are less than 100.00 is not very accurate at all and mixture changes with pressure and hose length. Where the true injector is the same with all variables. If you really want to know what your plants are getting you mix it your self or step up and get a true injector. Hope this explains where i am coming from. If not do a research on injectors and there pros and cons and you will we inlightened. There is a lot of junk out there as there is with any product.

• fuzzymoto
    15 years ago

Got it...I see the difference in what you're discussing. We use low dose constant fertilization with our soil mix so the exact dose is of little consequence as long as it's low. I've used this type of system for years and years with no plant or equipment problems and very good results. Good luck.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!