Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

get aluminum framing without a kit?

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

I am leaning towards a custom design GH. Probably using polycarb for glazing.

However, I can't seem to find a way to buy aluminum framing, the kind that the "kit" GHs come with, without buying the kit.

I don't want to go with wood - for a few reasons. First, I like the sleeker look of the thinner aluminum frames. Second, wood rots in moisture. Third, the thicker frames have a larger effect on light transmission.

Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

How big are you wanting?

9 years ago

Bigger sizes are easily available as frame only.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 17:35

• steve333_gw
    9 years ago

A couple of options.

You could get standard Al or steel tubing and use that. It likely would not have the recesses for the panels, but you could attach larger polycarb sheets via screws to the outside, like the commercial GHs do. Overall a stronger and better sealed system than the small GH kits.

You could go with a commercial hoop house (where the ribs are available separately) and design something around that.

Much depends upon the size and style/shape GH you were thinking of.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking steel tubing.

1. Can you get a proper seal screwing polycarbonate right into the tubing? Or should I affix a flat wooden or Aluminum piece on top to connect the polycarb to?

2. From an engineering standpoint, what is the max distance between supports needed for a sheet of, say, 10mm twinwall?

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fruitnut probably about 15 x 18 or so.

• renais1
    9 years ago

Mueller buildings, among others, sell the framing materials. Sundance Supply has a great site describing in detail how to build a greenhouse as you desire. There are standard, and not too expensive, hardware items used to attach the poly to the frame if you are using poly. Basically the various hardware systems use some kind of metal brace on the outside of the poly to press along the whole length of the sheet, providing a good seal when screwed through to the frame. Sundance has lots of good illustrations of potential methods.
    Renais

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundance Supply

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great link. Renais!

OK - couple more questions:

1. Has anyone used that "Softlite" Polycarb? Looks like it provides even better diffusion of light with almost no reduction in % of transmission.

2. Do thicker polycarb sheets mean you can have wider spacing in the framing? Thicker reduces light, but wider spaced framing can someone compensate. I'm not in that cold a climate but I'm intrigued by 16mm triplewall.

9 years ago

If going corrugated here I'd get Solarsoft 85 linked below. If looking at the double and triple wall I might so soft on 8 mil twin wall but would suspect that clear in triple wall would give plenty of diffusion.

Three is a price to pay for soft at Sundance, higher cost and less heat gain in winter. All these have tradeoffs.

I like the highly diffused light and less heat gain in summer with my double inflated woven poly. Total light transmission is about 50-55% That's plenty of light for fruits of all kinds. But you have a different climate. We have 75% sun all yr. You need more heat gain in winter and the highly diffused light comes at the cost of heat gain. I've never had significant plant damage behind clear polycarbonate with 90% trasmission

Here is a link that might be useful: Solarsoft 85

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting that you're only a half-zone warmer than me but such a different climate. We get about 40% sun in winter and maybe no better than 65% in spring through fall. Much moister climate, which means outdoor stuff needs far less irrigation, but is a negative in a GH in winter.

9 years ago

Be aware published light transmission of coverings is very optimistic. A 70-75% covering will probably be 50% average inside greenhouse. Part is framing loss but part is just plain exaggeration or measurement conditions. I'd not go below 70-75% advertized for crops needing high light. Light that strikes at sharp angle mostly reflects.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 17:37