Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltbrnleghorn

remote temp/ humidity sensor

ltbrnleghorn
11 years ago

Hi all-I'm looking for experiences, opinions, suggestions for purchasing a wireless temp/ humidity sensor unit for a 60' X 12' permanent greenhouse structure.

The house is I have read some of the dated discussion on several brands, but am hoping for current info.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

PS - for fun, here's a photo of the recent pouring of the greenhouse floor

Comments (9)

• GardenHelp
    11 years ago

I know of one company that will do a remote control system for a greenhouse. Link4. They can link to the ipad/cell phone. It normally has to control more than just the humidity: grow lights, temperature, humidity, cooling...etc. They are also not inexpensive.

• ltbrnleghorn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, GardenHelp. I'm interested in just a monitor, not a control system. The link below shows the type of sensor that I'm looking at. I was hoping that someone who was using or had used a sensor such as this might be able to recommend a specific brand/ model.

Here is a link that might be useful: remote temp/ humidity sensor

• 7deuce
    11 years ago

I use the La Crosse sensor you are thinking about. It works pretty good but there's about a 4-5 degree difference in temperature between dry probe and body sensor.

• ltbrnleghorn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, 7deuce. This is what I'm going with. It'll be a start...

Here is a link that might be useful: LaCrosse sensor

• Axel Muehlig
    11 years ago

Hi ltbrnleghorn and 7deuce,

I'm, looking for the exact same thing and stumbled across the Lacrosse monitors. I saw some feedback on Amazon that the thing doesn't send alerts. Is it working for you?

Thanks!

• 7deuce
    11 years ago

Yes, it works for me.

• ltbrnleghorn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi mcmullig,

Apologies, but...I have the sensor, just have not set it up yet. It's low on the triage list, but I will be sure and report back when I set it up.

• sfyffe
    11 years ago

I am looking into this one myself. I would like to have the ability to monitor when I go out of town. This one is web app based and has an ipad & android app.

Stephen

Here is a link that might be useful: Acurite Remote Internet Bridge

• steve333_gw
    11 years ago

I have been using a Meade Instruments TE923W weather station for about 1 year. It can accept up to 5 wireless temp/humidity sensors. I basically decided on it because of its ability to accept multiple temp sensors. I have one sensor ~20' feet from the house (general outside temps), one in an attached GH about 30' away, and one in a barn ~90' away (this one will go in the attached GH which is being built on the barn).

I have not experimented with the maximum distance, but
    expect that with clear line of site you might get 300' or so (that is the rated distance). I have noticed that when obstructions get in the way (such as a concrete wall) the signal fails.

So far my experience with the unit has been good. The UV sensor failed while under warrantee and is being replaced, but everything else is working. The unit can communicate with a PC via USB cable however I have not done that yet.

It is also possible to set alarms at specific temps (again have not used them yet). There is also SW available to put your station online at various weather sites, so that you can have remote access on the internet.

You might want to check this model out, as well as similar wireless weather stations. They seem to be the most cost effective way of getting temp/humidity sensors for GH and garden applications.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz