Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchiddude

My Greenhouse.......with Pictures

orchiddude
17 years ago

Hey Folks,

I just thought I would change the subject around here and seeing that everyone wants to have a greenhouse, I thought I would share what I grow and do in my greenhouse. Its fun to figure how to run and make a greenhouse work and then once you figure all that out, you can play. So, here is what I get to play with during the winter months.

These are some pictures I took this morning so all the flowers are real and in bloom right now. I have several other things in bud and as stuff opens, I will post again.

This is the first cymbidium that has opened this winter. Its a show stopper as you come in the door.

{{gwi:145542}}

As you walk a few feet into the greenhouse over to the left is a row of hanging cattleyas.

{{gwi:311075}}

To get a better view, lets take a closer look.

{{gwi:311076}}

{{gwi:311077}}

{{gwi:311078}}

As you look around, you see lots of palm trees.

{{gwi:311079}}

And if you look up, you will see the top of a big spindle palm.

{{gwi:311080}}

As you look to the right, you will spot 2 phragmipedium Mary Bess. Just look at the lovely red color.

{{gwi:311081}}

Then swinging around to your left, you spot a white paph, called Paph Rosey Dawn.

{{gwi:311082}}

As you get to the back of the greenhouse, you will see my water table for my phragmipedium bed. This is where I grow phrags, like the 2 reds ones up above. I have just cleaned my table and I am working on some repotting of plants.

Dont let this picture fool you, when I get done, it will be filled with plants. I have 50 to repot, would you like to help?

{{gwi:311083}}

{{gwi:311084}}

There you have it folks...this is my play house for the winter. Nice and cozy. I have lots of other stuff to share with you, so I will wait until next time.

I hope you have enjoyed, your tour. Thanks for stopping by.

Rob

Comments (69)

• ohiojay
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice and packed to the gills! So what are your plans for a new greenhouse? I've been wanting to put a few orchids here and there in my greenhouse. I guess I would need some that could withstand heat and bright light. Any suggestions? I could probably find them at our local conservatory..but they are quite expensive there. My wife's mother in Thailand has orchids hanging and/or strapped to every tree in the yard. Beautiful.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Wonderful!

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

Nice pix, great ideas being put to practical use. I may have to borrow the box fan concept. I also don't have an airtight space so thus far non-vented heating is vented to some degree no matter what I do!! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Have a very merry orchid Christmas
    David
    Questions: With clear inside and white outside what percent of light do you think is getting in? Is the long side of the GH North-South or East-West? Do you have a section that has too little light for happy winter growing?

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey David,

The white poly idea was to help in the summer time, because I only wanted about 2000 footcandles of light during the day. I still use a shade cloth to knock out the light so that I get 2000fc. During the winter, my light is cut back a little but I still get 2000fc on a sunny day with no shade cloth. When I change poly in a few years, I am going to go back to clear on clear and use a piece of white poly on one side of the greenhouse under the shade cloth. I like the white poly idea that I am using, it works great for my plants, but it does cut down about 10 degrees if heat during a winter day only during Dec/Jan maybe a little of Feb, then the other months I have to much and need shade cloth.

The long side of my greenhouse runs from east to west.

For the plants I grow( palms, orchids, tree ferns, pineapple, banana, cycads) no I dont have a place that I cant use. Most of my high light plants go to the south side during the winter, the bigger plants down the middle, and the lower light stuff on the north side.

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

If your going to go clear on clear next maybe the white shade cloth from naturalhomes.com would work. I still don't understand the black shade cloth as opposed to white shade cloth for light and heat reduction for summer months. My GH at the garden center runs long side North and South and really slows the good light in the northern half of the house. I don't know if it is something I want to talk with the owner's about or just live with it. I have it 3/4 full now and still have more potting up of smaller 4" and 1 gal to larger sizes for early spring sales. I also want to start seed of some veggies and herbs and assorted other in the next month. I will allow as much of the south and west side for growing out and seed flats. I had to put the pointsetta inside the store because I wasn't sure of the heat and the response to the propane gas. I am going to put a few in this week and see about their response to the humidity. No cold weather cept low 40's mid week so will only use electric if need this week. I have noticed some extra flowering on some of my hibiscus and bougenvilla's since using the propane. Nothing scientific just casual observation. I still am trying to find out a little more from Klerksusa.com about the kool lite white and k-50 IR clear. I was really happy with it in Hawaii but it also was never enclosed at the ends. The white poly on it now is from polytex.com as is the GH. I like Conley's out of California better but they built this before they hired me so I am just trying to make the best of what I have and maybe if I am there long enough I can change things out more to my liking. I do like your overall set-up and it would be a great model for me to use for one here at my house. I do sooo want to be able to have tropicals and some dwarf avocados and other goodies for my own pleasure. I would love to escape into your GH on any given winter day that is for sure.
    One more question on the phosphoric acid how much of a hassle was it to set up and to maintain? Everything is alkaline here water and soils.
    Happy Growing David

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

David,

The white poly is the kool white k-50 stuff. I really like this stuff, but I also like the 85-90°F days in the winter time. I remember once many years ago, it was 30°F outside, and 85°F inside the greenhouse. Bright light/sunny/hot, it was the best. I still get that, just less heat depending on the sun and time of the year. I love the white poly for summer, but I grow low light plants compared to other plants. Except for the palms, they really need full sun during the winter.

The phosphoric acid idea was something that I came upon when I started growing tree fern. I was already using RO water for my phrags. When I started growing tree fern, I needed clean water with a little acid. So I called my local University where I had gotten my degree, and they set me up. A little goes along way. I have some of the 85% stuff. 1 drop will take care of 50 gallons of water fast. I am so amazed at what a little acid can do for a plant, like tree fern. The growth on these plants were unreal. I really dont have a set-up, I just have a 55 gallon drum and my pH tester and acid. One or two drops and I am good. I also have an TDS tester for disolved solids. I keep track of that with a quick test.

At one time I had a chart that showed the plant absorption of nutrients at different pH levels. I think this was for orchids or acid loving plants. It really makes a difference.

You are welcome to email if you like.

Rob

• ericapayne
    17 years ago

Very nice Orchiddude! Love the orchids.

Your greenhouse is HUGE! I sprang for the little 8'x6' HFGH... it's still in the box until the spring but I'm having some serious thoughts about exchanging it for the 10'x12'. Orchids are like snacks, you can't have just one or two and before you know it...

Thanks for sharing.

Erica

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

So Rob if I understand it right you have koolite on the outside and the k-50 clear on the inside?
    As to the Tds your using that mostly for the water table right?
    What kind of tree ferns are you growing?
    I may want to think more on the phosphoric acid for some of the ferns I do. (no tree ferns) I have been in hapu'u tree fern forests in Hawaii that had trunks bigger than I could reach around and it is a very surreal experience. Rain forests in general are very cool, tropical or temperate climate.
    I was able to keep chinese hibiscus in bloom with the 55% white I have this last summer as well as many other blooming things. The Koolite is suppose to be 70% so I expect it to do even better for the bloomers, I think mostly because the plants are getting more useable light and more thoughout their canopy. So your not able go without shade cloth for summer even with the koolite and k-50 combo? I may have to rethink my whole process. Hmmm. (Thinking out loud:)
    Thanks again for the help and thoughts
    Happy Growing David

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just an update. The cymbidium above has opened up and its looking good.
    {{gwi:145544}}

Its beginning to look alot like Christmas, 3 spikes, and will have over 50 flowers
    {{gwi:311105}}

Erica...Your right, orchid growers cant say, "no". I think its a disease, with no cure. I have alwayed wondered what makes us attracted to this type of plant verses other types of plants. That would be a great research project for someone wanting to get published. Make your greenhouse bigger, 6x8 is little. Get you something and lay it out on the ground so you can walk around in a 6x8 area, then do a 10x12 on top of that. You will be glad you did.

David...On all the orchids I grow, I try to use the RO water with The tree ferns I have right now are Australian Brentwood, and I have grown Dicksonia antarctica.

My whole idea with the poly was that, since I had to use shade cloth anyway, why not go ahead and have it as a poly. This works great. I really like the white but I like the clear in the winter. In the winter, my goal is get as much heat and light as possible. I would love to see 90°F each day. So what I am going to do next time, I think, is to put the clear on both layers and then take a piece of white and place it over the top layer, then put the shade cloth over that. The shade cloth will hold down the white poly and I can take both pieces off during the winter. The way my greenhouse is made, I can take off the top layer of poly and replace it without worrying about the other layer. I used lock wire stuff so it made it easy to add and remove stuff.

When thinking about the combo idea, think about the plants your growing too. Most of my plants are low light plants compared to others, with the exception of the palms and cymbidiums.

• kate_rose
    17 years ago

First of all your greenhouse is amazing, especially the orchids!

I do have a question though. Why not supplement your RO with rainwater? It would use less energy and save money on RO filters.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Kate...For my application, rain water is no good. Thats a big statement, isn't it. The reason its no good for me is because I cant get what I need per year in water. I would have to collect water and store it up and so on. Thats a lot of work.

RO filters are cheap. The unit I have works great for 3-4 years on one filter. I bought a new filter last year for $35.00, shipping and everything. I use no energy to make RO water, its water pressure only. Plus, by making clean water to start with, I know what I have. In rainwater, I am not sure whats in it. I have never tested the TDS of rainwater but I will next time it rains. I think tomorrow or the next day we are suppose to get some. We will test for pH and TDS again some RO water and see.

Thanks for the nice comments about the greenhouse. I like the orchids too.

• kate_rose
    17 years ago

Makes sense O.D. You must have pretty soft water because we have to replace our drinking water RO system filters a couple times a year. I would be curious what you find out about pH and TDS of rainwater. Supposedly it is slightly acidic and I suspect TDS depends on how often it rains (dust in the air) but it is supposed to be really low. I haven't ever tested my rainwater storage but mine comes off of a asphalt shingle roof so it can't be too clean. Eventually we will get a metal one for that. When I get my GH up and running I also would like to put in a couple of orchids so I will probably be asking you a bunch of questions then.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yall want to see another orchid picture. You know ya do. I will stick one up in a minute.

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

Well, Rob we are still waitig for the next orchid teaser:)
    I really like the cat 'Puppy Love'. They are all cool but I love the subtle tones, that make you really look and get lost in.
    David

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey David, I am going to get some new pictures up today.
    Thanks
    Rob

• conifers
    17 years ago

Sweet job Rob!

Dax

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Dax...I missed getting new pictures today, so maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day of the year. Can you believe it.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Being a gardener, yes! And a great new year to come here because if weather persists and the ground doesn't freeze, my new home on 7 acres will begin construction January 07'!

I'll have 10 years and more 'work' to come!

Happy Happy New Year!

Dax

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

I guess now it will the new year orchid tease. Anytime you get a chance if fine by me. I have so busy trying to make up for lost time getting winter ready that I am behind on seed ordering and sowing and tranplanting. Spring will be here before ya know it. I get just as antsy for spring as many gardeners do but I am always looking for more time so I can be ready for all those antsy gardeners. Seeing your orchids is soothing to my soul thanks for the pictorial gifts Rob.
    Happy Growing David

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

I want a greenhouse like that! It would be great to have orchids and stuff flowering.

Anyone have any idea how much a greenhouse like that would cost me to run here?

What would be the DPB? (Dollars Per Bloom)

I already know the DPT of my set up. (Dollars Per Tomato)

For climatic calculations use data from Sioux City, IA then add a couple hundred dollars a year.

;)

• lilies4me
    17 years ago

Rob...absolutely fantastic greenhouse. My computer took almost ten min. to download the pix but totally worth the effort.

I don't have a greenhouse...wish I did so much. You described the sensation of going from 30 degrees outside to 85 inside the greenhouse...plus the joy of the smells, warmth and humidity. I could empathize with that totally. Then I think of the joy of having the structure filled with beautiful flowers and plants...wow...incredible. It makes me very happy for you and provokes a slight jealousy within me. I have somewhat of that same feeling in the spring when I see the first crocus begin to push out of the ground...then I find the first bloom of the new year. You have that ongoing...and that's great!!

Maybe my next project won't be a thatched barbecue area but rather a greenhouse. Smiling

thanks for the posting...

Terry

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello,

Well, I finally took some more pictures. There are a few things new blooming and some of the old that I gave a new face lift too. Hope you enjoy, as life unfolds in the greenhouse.
    The Twins. Phragmipedium Cardinale
    {{gwi:311106}}
    This is Phrag Mary Bess, she has just bloomed her self to death this year, and her twin is blooming too.
    {{gwi:311107}}
    Cymbidiums are one of my favorite. This is Cym Claude Pepper
    {{gwi:311108}}
    {{gwi:145545}}
    Close up of a Cattleya lip.
    {{gwi:311109}}
    This is Paph Rosey Dawn. The newer flower on the right. As the flowers grow older they become whiter. Older flower on left.
    {{gwi:311110}}
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I truely hope you have enjoyed touring my greenhouse. Remember, the best is yet to come.

Thanks Terry for the comments.

• highjack
    17 years ago

I REALLY like the Phrag and Paph - good growing.

Brooke

• pcdur
    17 years ago

Hey Rob,

wonderfull work, there is none better than you!!!

Charles

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Charles... I am sure there are several better than me...lol

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

Rob,
    Them pix is just gorgeous. I especially love the close up for the dreamy effect it has on you when you stare at it for a while. Thanks again for the joy your pix bring to my heart.
    Happy Growing David

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

David..did you notice the ants on the stem? After I posted the pictures, I realized I was looking at ants. Never saw them before...LOL, I guess they wanted a photo Op.

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

Busy bringing in their aphids, scale, leafminers and funguses!

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Probably, but at that moment, they really were interested in the drops of nectar on the plant. Is it not interesting how a plant can produce a substance that will attract bugs in order for the possibility that some insect will come along and pollinate the flower. Interesting.

• ponderosaq
    17 years ago

Orchiddude,
    Your posts are so wonderfully frustrating. Your pictures are making me drule. I am anxiously awaiting new blooms on my two little phals. I spent the holidays reading an orchid book and now I came across your post. Have you ever posted any info here (rather than the orchid forum) on growing orchids? I'd love to know more on how I could do it my cool greenhouse. My orchids are in the house. Maybe you could finance your next greenhouse by selling pups, or larger plants to all of us who so love your pictures!Thanks for a wonderful morning looking at your gorgeous plants.
    PQ AKA Liz

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

Rob
    Didn't notice the ants til you posted. Even then I had to look a little close and concentrate. The opposite of what I look at flowers for. heh heh. As to the insects and nature in general the more I know, the more I realize I don't know and I think this humbling by nature is to keep that cocky human nature in check... Just a thought on this bustery but warm day. Thanks again for the beauty of nature brought to life by man, technology, and human will and last, but definitely not least MOTHER NATURE.
    Happy Growing David

• lilies4me
    17 years ago

I don't understand...when I really want to see something my computer refuses to download the pix properly. Rob...I periodically check this email...hoping something will have changed in the intervening week...and that the pix will download. It hasn't happened yet...but hopefully it will soon.

In the meantime, I know it has to be a flawless greenhouse and I congratulate you on that.

Terry

• tomd63
    17 years ago

Hi, all i am heating my greenhouse with a Gas unvented heater.and i started to having a lot of bud blast i grow orchids. i have used this heater for 2 years, last year not to bad. this year bad. so i started using my eletric heaters and it got better but, my electric bill went through the roof. i know that orchiddude, uses a unvented heater. could my greenhouse be to tight. would letting in more fresh air help things if so would leaving a window cracked help i have one on each side. just can't spring for a new heater right now.would be so greatful for any advice. my green house is 8x10 and it seems to be pretty tight. i have checked for leaks but all is well i know that a small leak can cause trouble Thanks Tommy

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey folks,
    I was out in the greenhouse this weekend and found a few things in bloom. Its nice to walk in and find some surprises lurking under some palm tree leaf or hiding behind a banana leaf. I have alot of cattleyas in bud, but found a few plants open or starting to open. The winter months are beautiful in the greenhouse. Check it out. Can you believe Spring is just around the corner.

This is my big cymbidium. Called Candy Strips. I think this plant has 6 spikes so far and they are starting to open. Should have over 70 flowers, if I counted correctly.
    {{gwi:311111}}

The picture below is interesting. I shot it because of the ants and the big flower buds. NO my buds are not blasting with my natural gas heater. Look at these big beautiful buds, the ants are busy, then I noticed the aphids, the blue colored thingys. Kinda of a neat looking picture.
    {{gwi:311112}}

Another big purple cattleya. This plant has HUGE flowers, wonderful fragrance.
    {{gwi:311113}}

Just a picture of my tree fern growing a new leaf.
    {{gwi:311114}}

Cymbidiums are in bloom during the winter and this year is no exception. This plant has 3 spikes with a beauiful yellow and red flower.
    {{gwi:145546}}

I like purple cattleyas, as you can tell. These flowers are huge and give off a wonderful fragrance.
    {{gwi:311115}}

Until the next update, yall have a great week!
    -----------------------------------
    May your greenhouse be blooming with lots of color!
    Rob
    orchiddude

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

OH!!!!!!

NATURAL GAS??????????

Sort of wished you could mention that in all the unvented heater threads.

You do of course realise that the propane supply companies put additives in their product in winter don't you?

Methanol is the traditional one, helps with the problem of water ice forming IN the supply lines.

Unvented NG and unvented LPG may turn out to be two different beasts.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris...I used a vented 75,000 Btu Modine heater in my last greenhouse for 10 years with propane, and grew over 1000 orchids in that greenhouse. Never had a problem. Yes, I knew they added stuff to help keep it from freezing. Its the same beast, just a different attitude.

Currently my greenhouse is 63 degrees with no heater on. I think we are having a warm spell.

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

"Propane" in 7b isn't the same as "Propane" in 4b

Currently my greenhouse is -1F

I think we are having a cold spell.

:)

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

OK I just re-read that!!!!

You used a what???? ""I used a vented 75,000 Btu Modine heater in my last greenhouse for 10 years with propane, and grew over 1000 orchids in that greenhouse. Never had a problem."" I hope you meant an UN-VENTED.

You used a vented propane? No problems? That is what is to be expected.

Now you use unvented NG? Why?

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, a vented modine propane gas heater. I like the heater and it works great. I still have it. Back when I used that heater, gas prices were cheap. I think I paid .78 a gallon for propane on a 200 gallon tank. Well, then the sh-t hit the fan and the prices went through the roof. Well, I started paying $300 to $400 dollars a month for heat. I made a turning point then, I down-sized from a 24x48 foot greenhouse down to a 18x25. I changed over to natural gas because I have that going to my house for the hot water heater and I didnt like the propane tank in the yard. I changed over heaters at the same time. I went from $400 to $90 dollars a month in gas cost while keeping the same min temp of 55°F. Keep in mind, I only use gas for 3 to 4 months out of a year. It was the best choice I ever made.

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

In the case of the unvented vs the vented heater.

I read too many John Grisham books.... :)

so if I may re-phrase the question Mr.Orchiddude, you are giving evidence on behalf of the Acme Unvented Propane Heater Company and you have repeatedly testified before the Gardenweb Court that, and I quote, ""now tell me how bad gas heaters really are""

Well, as the court has deemed to stipulate (that sort of means the court knows the expert witness is an expert in his/her field) as to your credentials as an expert witness in the respect of unvented gas heaters, orchids and other strange plants, can you enlighten the court as to your experience with un-vented "propane" powered heating devices?

(silence)

Mr.Orchiddude Have you or have you not ever conducted a test of the heater (Acme Unvented Propane Heater) in question in a greenhouse environment?

(spluttering......)

Case dismissed!!!!!

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Folks,
    Long time no see. Today I was out in the greenhouse and noticed a few more plants that have bloomed. I love going out to the greenhouse when its about 80°F during a cold day, like today. The smell of the tropics were in the air.
    Here are a few new pictures of whats blooming. Spring/summer is on the way, I can hardly wait.

This is one of my favorite cattleyas. The yellow color is bold and solid, beautiful flowers. Blooms this time every year and can bloom several times a year.
    {{gwi:311116}}

Another cymbidium that just bloomed. This plant has 6 spikes with over 120 flowers. I have more cymbidums that have not opened buds yet. Cyms are in season! This is called candystripes. Easy to bloom.
    {{gwi:145547}}

Thanks for looking, I will post more as they bloom.
    Thanks
    orchiddude
    Rob

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, here it is. I have saved the best for last. Well, not sure if its the best but its big. Today I noticed my Cymbidium Good News George was opening some flowers. Here are a few pictures of the plant and flowers. This plant has 89 flowers with 6 spikes that are over 4 feet long each. Impressive!

{{gwi:145538}}
    {{gwi:145540}}

{{gwi:145541}}
    I will let this post die now. It has gotten to long for most people. Thx Rob.

• joce62
    17 years ago

mervellous cymbidiums ! my own cymbidium is twenty five years!
    and in blooming at this time.
    jocelyne

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you joce62, I am sure its beautiful. I tried to look for it at your link but I can not read the language nor did I find it. Thanks for your reply.

• sowngrow (8a)
    17 years ago

Hey Rob-
    Everything in your gh looks great! Glad to see you weren't in the area hit by tornados last week. Saw Mary posted on this thread too. I don't see many of the old timers from this forum posting anymore.
    Robin

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Robin, so good to hear from you. There is one or two that post and thats it, everyone else is gone. I have not seen hornworm in a long time. I hope he is still with us.

Rob

• sowngrow (8a)
    17 years ago

I haven't seen Lar post in ages either Rob. I hope he and his wife are well. It's good to see the familiar names every now and then.
    Robin

• lilies4me
    17 years ago

Darn it! I really want to see your greenhouse but the pix don't download. They must be downloading for others so the problem is with this computer. I'll see what I can do.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lilies4me....I hope you can see the pictures. I am going to add another one tomorrow. 89 cymbidiums in bloom.

• prc66
    17 years ago

Rob, Dear...the pics aren't downloading for me either! Why don't you just email me some, huh?
    Patty")