Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouser

Those clear storage containers... mini greenhouses

greenhouser
16 years ago

Has anyone tried those clear plastic containers with lids from Wally World to start cuttings? They work GREAT! Set the potted cuttings on the top piece and place the clear container upsidedown over them. As soon as the cuttings are rooted start removing the usd top by hiking up one end. I have some nice geranium and impatiens cutting thriving. These containers come in all sizes.

Comments (9)

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

gher,
    I am using milk jugs and clear containers from take out dinners to wintersow a lot of seed. They also act like mini greenhouses. I like doing this due to I dont have to start these in the big gh. I have 26 containers out so far and that is just the hardy perienals for my area (stuff that will reseed in my yard). Did I mention it saves room in the big gh for other stuff. Just sow the in the container and come spring water them and you have new plants. How easy is that...... Barb

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Greenhouser,

Yes, these storage totes are fantastic. I used them for all my cuttings. However, I place the soiless medium into the container and then place the lid on it. Once everything has rooted I slowly acclimate my cuttings by lifting the lid a bit more every other day. I mist with a spray bottle my cuttings about once a week. They work fabulously.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

GHer -- I do the same. For small things (begonia leaves, etc.) I put the leaf/cutting in medium in a Dixie cup (with a drainage hole in each cup) -- then put Dixie cups together in shoebox size clear boxes -- then put those boxes inside the next larger size container, with the larger container upside down and the shoeboxes resting on the larger container's lid. This allows maximum light into the plants (no white lid on top to block sunlight), and the maximum flexibility in controlling both humidity and moisture of the media.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TO: rosepedal

Are you seeding them right in the ground outside and putting the jugs over them?

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To: ladylotus

I can see how that would work. I have my cuttings in small individual pots so just put the container down over them. They stay in those pots until time to move them on.

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To: amazindirt

Yes, I like the storage containers upsidedown since the light is not blocked in any way. If the room is bright enough it may not matter.

• jbest123
    16 years ago

greenhouser, here is what I put thgeather last spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation Chamber

• greenhouser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jbest123

Ok, Gotcha! That's a great idea. I'm going to see what I can find in the plastics dept there this week. I think I'll pick up a few more and make the type you did. :)

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Gher,

I am planting the seeds right in the milk jugs and placing them outdoors. Come spring time, mothernature tells the seeds to wake up and sprout. If you have alot of different seeds and just dont have room in the gh to start all of them, this is a great resource to use. Barb