Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclantonpboss

Greenhouse Build Begins

jclanton
11 years ago

This post is to introduce you to my greenhouse build plans. My wife has finally consented to me starting a greenhouse project now that the kitchen (a two year project to rebuild) is just about complete. I had hoped to have it built by this winter, but life, other hobbies, and work keeps getting in the way.

The greenhouse is going to be a lean to structure off the existing shed shown below.

{{gwi:311934}}

I built this shed a number of years ago at the back of our property and have always planned to put a lean-to greenhouse against the building. I have a lot of design questions and construction questions. I would love to get feedback from everyone on what has worked for them and what hasn't. Here's a longer view of the shed with our dog Betsy. The stripes you see in the yard are where I've had electricity and natural gas pulled down to the building.

{{gwi:311935}}

The shed is 12 x 16 feet. I'm planning the greenhouse to be 10 x 16. I've debated different sizes, but to keep the roof pitch the same as the existing shed and to have a reasonable height on the ends, I decided to stop at 10'. Keep wondering if I want to change roof pitch and go out to 12'.

Here's a sketch of the planned greenhouse with a covered section on the right side.

{{gwi:311936}}

My goals for this greenhouse are to do aquaponics, grow/overwinter plants, and start seedlings for the summer. The greenhouse will be covered using either 8 or 10 mil double-wall polycarbonate.

We live in the upstate of SC in the foothills in zone 7b so in the winter we get intermittant cold weather with lots of sunshine, lots of rainy weather with temperatures in the low 40's, and warm, sunny periods in the upper 50's. Low temperatures are usually in the 20's but can fall to 0. We usually have several minor ice or snow events each winter. Typical high is upper 40's this time of year.

That's kind of an introduction. I'll post more images in a later post on how I plan to build the walls and then I'll start pestering everyone here with lots of questions on everything from polycarbonate installation options, ventilation options, shelving options, etc. I've enjoyed reading this forum over the last few years and I'll thank everyone in advance for their comments and advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County