Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerwantabe

No Problems in 5 years

gardenerwantabe
14 years ago

Just thought I would post in a few weeks I will be starting my 5th year with my 10x12 HFGH with no problem.

No yellowing of panel's.

No problems with the sliding doors No wind damage.

I have had 80 mph wind snow storms Ice storm and have had nothing break or fail.

Will soon fill it with seeds to start another summer of flowers in our flower gardens.

Good thing it held up I have had back problems last 2 years and in June I had 4 artificial disc's put in my back and still not able to do much but it is getting better hope to be going strong by summer

Comments (7)

• mudhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Hey gardenerwantabe, good to hear from you again! Sorry about the back surgery, but I hope you will keep making good progress at a fast rate. No doubt you got behind in gardening AND car restoration during the summer!

About halfway through my third year here. No wind damage, no door problems. My panels not shaded with Aluminet have clearly yellowed, but thankfully no signs so far of any holes or cracks that a few others have reported.

Here is how my greenhouse looked in 2007 (click to enlarge) right after building the Aluminet screens to shade the four central panels on the south side.

{{gwi:286734}}

And here is a pic I snapped this morning of the same south side. The two unprotected panels have yellowed more than the others, especially towards the bottom.

{{gwi:312035}}

I remain a very happy camper in spite of the yellowing. If I have to replace some panels, IÂll still be money ahead with the HFGH. I am thankful that all the great info here gave me the courage to take the plunge. Without gardenerwantabe's and others posts, I am pretty certain I would never have experienced owning a greenhouse.

Merry Christmas to all...!

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

hi
    I have maintained ,what I call a GH since early 80 with many alterations operating methods,heating,cooling systems
    Most severe damage was from hurricanes which took out the small one entirely but only damaged the large one.
    When repairing the damage i thought a good time to create the "PERFECT GH" lol After MUCH consideration I went back to the very FIRST plan .More management than equipment lol. Remember thinking this will be so easy since the climate is so mild . WRONG lol
    Good luck with you're continued success, Can relate to the back . Thought I was going to die when hefting shade panels up to the roof.. Two things I most regret that I didn't build into the original was "glass walls " where it attaches to the house. Gable roof not for snow loads but for leaves that collect on top. Would easily have cut the maintenence in half over the years!!
    Since I'm pushing 70 I don't see many "modifications ' in my future except "Learn Spanish " So I can talk to the lawn people lol. GOOD luck !! Who knows what ma nature will dish out next year??!! gary

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not been on this site for about 5 years so I thought I would drop in and say it has now been 10 years and my HFGH is still going strong.
    NO yellowing of the panels' this past winter I had 10 inches of snow on the roof but no problems, The modifications that I did have proved to be well worth the effort.
    I wonder if any of the posters from years ago are still here.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Howdy gardenerwantabe, I still check in here. So glad to hear that you and your greenhouse are doing well.

I'm jealous of your climate, if that's what keeps your Harbor Freight panels clear. My roof panels practically disintegrated two years ago, so we replaced them. Now I badly need to replace all the wall panels (as soon as my hectic schedule allows.) Aside from that annoyance, the greenhouse has been structurally sound, and harbors an astonishing number of plants year round. I do enjoy it.

I send a grateful tip of the hat, more often than you know, to you and many of the posters from years ago. Thanks for pioneering many of the modifications that have allowed our greenhouse to be going strong for the last 7 years.

It would be nice if some of the early owners of the HF 10x12 would pop in again.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mudhouse glad to see you are still here and enjoying your greenhouse.
    Due to health issues the wife and I don't use the GH much anymore but it is still standing strong and looking like it did when I built it.
    I was worried this past winter it had 10 inches of wet snow on the roof but it stood that way for weeks before it got warm enough outside for it to melt.
    About all we have in it anymore is stuff to eat we have tomatoes growing in it now and she has some other items started also.
    I just happened to think about this forum and decided to drop in and see if any of the people who were here years ago was still around.
    Years ago I was driving a truck and I would stop at the Sherriff Truck stop at.Las Cruces NM that was in 1975 is it still there.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

gardenerwantabe, I am pretty sure the same truck stop is there, but it's now a Love's truck stop. Same place new name, I believe. (DH and I will meet you there for breakfast if you say the word.)

Glad you are able to use your greenhouse for tomatoes and other things. I should use mine for edible things but I have too much fun growing silly things that aren't practical.

Health issues do shape how we do things here too. I am currently staying with my Mom, recovering from a knee replacement surgery, and my plants are still patiently waiting to be freed from the greenhouse for their summer on the patio. But the screens on the side keep them happy, even though our temps are starting to move up.

Good to hear from you.

• gardenerwantabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm retired no longer able to drive very far in a car much less a truck.
    I'm in my eighties so I may not be around much longer.
    This forum is lucky to have someone like you that is willing to share your experience with others I know you spend a lot of time helping others.

My wife told me this morning we have a tomato plant that has 10 buds on it.
    Weather here is still cool but it is going to warm up next week, I just hope it don't get too warm then cool off and have severe storms.
    Take Care good to hear from you.