Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Johnny's Selected Seeds - Tomato

hudson___wy
9 years ago

I am not sure why - but I have never looked to Johnny's Selected seeds for tomato seeds. I was browsing their new 2015 catalog we recently received in the mail and noticed a section for "Greenhouse Tomato Seeds". Several varieties caught my interest - Rebelski, Marnero and Marbonne among others. I also noticed the price - from $10 to $20 for approx 15 seeds - a bit pricey?!

I have not seen any of these varieties mentioned on this forum or the Tomato forum - have any of you tried these or any of Johnny's GH Tomato Seed Collection varieties?

I would like to know about these varieties as I am interested in planting a few next season - can anyone give me a review on these three varieties or other GH tomato seeds from Johnny's

{{gwi:2120538}}

Comments (8)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Yesterday I started a bunch of tomatoes that cost five dollars for ten seeds, which would normally chap my cheap hide, but they sent eleven seeds, so I'm feeling lucky and special!

If 80% germinate, that's still less than sixty cents per plant. Get me two tomatoes off each plant and I'm ahead of the game. Heck, one tomato, since store bought two-week old toms cost about two dollars a pound.

And I will never plant all the toms I start from, say, a packet of thirty-five Cherokee seeds, so the per-seed price gets to be hard to tack meaning onto. The question might be: do you want a dozen plants of that tomato (to plant or to give to friends), and is a dollar per plant OK?

EDIT: can't spell for beans...

This post was edited by grubby_me on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 23:46

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi grubby - I agree with you - the price of the seed isn't a reason to not try the variety - although $20 for 15 seeds - is getting a little spendy - it is the combination of the cost and more the fact that no one is talking about these varieties on this forum?

Are the varieties more of commercial GH varieties - and is it the commercial GHs that are growing these varieties? I do not see these varieties available from other seed catalogs either - which is odd?

Has anyone grown any of these Johnny's "Greenhouse Tomato Seeds" varieties offered as such in their catalog and can you give us a review? They look very tasty and have good write-ups. Yes - I plan to experiment and grow a few of them in our GH but would sure like to hear from others who have tried them!

• billala
    9 years ago

I've used Johnny's for years for lettuce, greens, herbs, and until recently tomatoes. I've had good luck with everything but tomatoes. I never had much luck getting their tomatoes to germinate. The last two years (and for 2015) I switched to tomatogrowers.com, and have had much better luck with germination. They also seem to have a wider variety of tomatoes than Johnny's, but tomatoes and peppers are about all they sell.

• steve333_gw
    9 years ago

I agree, some of the specialty GH tomato seeds are outrageously priced.

I have not tried any in recent years, but did try a few some years back. I found Cobra to be a decent tomato, reasonable taste characteristics and yeilds, just not sure it was that much better than other non-GH tomatoes I've grown.

My main problem isn't necessarily the cost (although it is pretty high), but rather my doubts about what I will be getting. I don't buy GH tomatoes in the stores anymore. They are tasteless or worse. So I am hesitant to pay a bunch for the newest seed that is going to give me a tomato like those I won't buy.

As I recall, the description for Cobra was that it offered good taste, which seemed to be true. Another advantage now is that it isn't the "latest new thing" anymore so hopefully is priced more reasonably.

Actually Hudson, I just ordered a couple of tomato seeds from Burpee, based upon your posts of your results.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Yeah, I think they are targeted at large-scale GH production rather than the yummy artisan way we do it. Notice that flavor is barely mentioned in those descriptions.

In general I've had great luck with Johnny's. I also use Tomato Grower's Supply with no problems either.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Billala - were any of the tomato seeds you tried - that didn't germinate so well - from Johnny's Greenhouse Collection? I also purchase seeds from Tomato Growers and find them a good source for seeds.

Steve - thanks for the info - I sure don't want to plant some varieties that taste like the grocery store tomatoes either! Cobra is one of Johnny's GH collection tomatoes but the fruit is smaller than we like to grow. I think I will try Marbonne this season - if I can get the seed (the seed for Marbonne is already backordered) because it is new at Johnny's and looks great. I ordered from Burpee too - I hope what you ordered does as well for you as what Brandy Boy and Better Boy has done for us! We are definitely growing them both again this coming year. We also ordered Jersey Boy Hybrid - we are excited to try it.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karin - I thought they may be marketing to commercial GH producers - there aren't many tomato seed suppliers that offer seeds in 250, 500, 1,000 and 5,000 seed quantities! I have also had great luck purchasing seeds from Johnny's - but never looked to them for tomato seeds. I have never seen much in the way of reviews on most of their varieties that look interesting to me - and a commercial GH supplier would explain that. Still - the Marbonne will be a great one to experiment with though - IMO!

• billala
    9 years ago

Hudson - I've never heard of Johnny's Greenhouse Collection until now. Don't know if I ordered from it or not. It's going on three years, and I can't recollect what varieties I did use from Johnny's. I do know it was an ever changing mix of determinates, indeterminates and cherries, always looking for something that would germinate better and thrive in our deep south climate. All were classic style tomatoes. No funny color combinations or shapes.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz