Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travisdh

Heating Greenhouse with exhaust heat (air)

travisdh
11 years ago

Hi Gardeners.

I have an outdoor greenhouse that I would like to look at heating over the winter period(s), I would like to try and do this as cheaply as possible, and had a thought:

I have a series of computers in a cupboard at home, this has an exhaust fan in the roof which removes the excess heat from that cupboard and just vents through an outlet into the roof cavity. My thought was, would it be potentially possible to take the air from the exhaust cupboard, and instead of venting this into the roof, take a ducted pipe and run the air across , through a short (Since the fan is operating 24 x 7, it would easily run over winter, and to put it in perspective, the air from the cupboard typically ends up being 20 - 30 Deg C.

The size of the greenhouse is 16 x 8ft, and I was thinking i would look at insulating two whole sides (Back and Side) since these are adjacent to a fence and don't get any sun so would just lose heat.

Has anyone done anything similar with their exhaust heat (but not from heaters, gas flue's etc).

Comments (2)