Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heebiejeebie

Wireless thermometer with alarm?

heebiejeebie
17 years ago

I'm looking for a wireless thermometer with an alarm that goes off when the temp is too high or low.

Anyone know of/use one of these?

Comments (10)

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

Yep I have one!

And unless you are there 24hrs a day, 7 days a week they are useless.

(for those who want to argue, I mean the alarm part)

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

Chris, I wouldn't say they are useless! The low temp alarm is most likely to go off in the middle of the night, and most likely you'll be home in bed at that time...making a low temp alarm pretty useful.

Mylu swears by his Sensaphone, a more expensive, hard-wired unit which calls one or more phone numbers when the alarm goes off. Now we just need one that sends you an email at work!

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

Man, I wish you could edit your posts here on GW!

Clarification: the Sensaphone is not wireless.

• mollyd
    17 years ago

Heebee just run over to Walmart. That's where I got mine. It's just a regular indoor/outdoor thermometer with alarm. Cost is under $20. works just fine.

MollyD

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

stressbaby,

I see your point, unless you are a party animal then I guess most greenhouse owners are tucked up in bed when the alarm may go off.

Do these temperature alarms have a snooze button? :)

• jspece
    17 years ago

I got mine from Charley's Greenhouse. Make sure you get one that has an adequate signal range for your situation. Most will only reach 100' max, which was not enough for me. The one I have is rated for 300'.

Wireless is not foolproof!! Better than nothing, though, and FWIW I've had no issues with mine. It has saved my plants a number of times!

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

You can get them at Radio shack too. mines 300 feet wireless, has everything.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Pretty basic one I use.

I've looked all over my paperwork and websites and on my wireless thermometer for specifications but cannot figure out which one I have. Regardless though, It's a very small 'Acurite' with a three channel option that only evaluates temperature.

I tell ya.. it took me a long time to buy what I needed and nothing else. I finally ended up speaking with the one representative the company has, a sweet gal, and she got me dialed in.

I went to Walmart first upon suggestion here and for the life of me I cannot remember why I didn't like what it was I purchased. Maybe the dango thing didn't do what I wanted it to do - or drove me nuts for the matter. Well that's over with.

What I have indoors measures a walloping 2 1/4" x 3 3/8" and looks like this should you like to email this nice young gal with a photo. I think it cost me about 20 bucks.

Regards and howdy heebiejeebie. All is well here (and we should begin building soon).

Dax

{{gwi:312338}}
    (That's the indoor temperature of my home on top right).

• conifers
    17 years ago

Oops! heebiejeebie I've mistaken you for beescorner.

My apolgies as you probably have not the slightest clue who I am!

Dax

• PRO
    Absolute Automation
    9 years ago

Have there been any major updates with this line of thinking? I'm just googling around for a wireless temp. sensor for my greenhouse and found this thread. A friend has one that sets of a chime inside, I think it was expensive though, 300$ or so.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor