Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Clean Suede Work Gloves

Posted by lisabc NM Z5 HeatZn5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 15:22

How do you clean suede work gloves that have had garden soil worked into them? I've tried washing some other ones just like I wash my hands and hanging them up to dry in a shady spot, but that made them stiff. Thanks! Lisa~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Clean Suede Work Gloves

Hello, Lisa...Love those gloves! Leather and suede wash well(by hand) in a salt solution with a mild soap. Cold water only. Have used Pears soap (from Dollar tree) as well as glycerine soaps. Rinse water gets a few drops of olive oil. Dry from hangar clips. Massage or knead gloves when partially dry. I sometimes put those one piece old fashioned clothes pins in each finger til partially dry. I wash my one suede jacket with cold water (plus dark jeans) and a pound of salt on gentle cycle in the washing machine about once a year. Toss in dryer with dark towels on air dry for 10 minutes and hang up. Knead as for gloves. Hope this helps.

o

one question, WHY?

they are work gloves and should be used for work, not for looks. to me the dirt gives them character!

o

I'm terrible about getting dirt inside my gloves and grinding it into my finger tips. So once in awhile I put them on my hands, wash the outside with mild soap, turn them inside out and put them back on and do it again. Then I rinse well and leave them wrong side out till about half dry. Turn again and knead a little and they are just fine. They seem to last longer by doing this, probably because the dirt doesn't wear away the finger tips as quickly.

o

• Posted by lisabc NM Z5 HeatZn5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 4:03

Thanks for all the great tips!

I found a great way to clean suede work gloves. I threw them into the washer with the jeans. They came out fairly clean. I hung them to dry with clothes pins with a hook on the top. I squeezed them gently ever few hours so they wouldn't get stiff.

o

davidandkasie ~ the softer leathers such as suede or goatskin become very stiff as the dirt grinds in, which makes them uncomfortable to wear. Also, I wash my gloves everytime I pull up poison ivy -- I know, I know, use the plastic bags -- but sometimes, I just forget and yank, which puts the PI sap on the gloves. A quick wash and then I can slap skeeters without getting a PI rash.

o

Does anyone have a measurement idea of how much salt to use in the salt solution previously listed? Also would saddle cleaner work on swede gloves? Please let me know- I have sveral gloves to clean! thanks! FYI- It reached into the 90 mothers'day in minnesota! Go figure- we seem to be missing out on springs and falls now!

o

i have never had a problem with them getting stiff. i agree with washing them after handling PI, but i use mine so much that they never get stiff.

if you really want to keep them soft, use baseball glove conditioner.

o

I never had a problem with my gloves getting stiff either. At least not when I lived in a clay soil area. When I moved to sandy loam soil it was a totally different story. Darn gloves set like cement overnight! Doesn't matter if you use them every day it depends on your soil.
Thanks for the tip on washing I was thinking about using them as a garden sculpture but now I can get my favorite gloves back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here