Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tip for removing oil off of cement driveway

Posted by tryit South TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 06 at 16:50

I just moved into a used home. Apparently the previous owners had some leaky autos. The drive way had oil stains and I don't know how long it's been there. I read through this forum and saw some very good tips. Before I jump in with both feet, I wonder if anyone had experience removing/reducing those ugly oil stains which maybe over a year old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tip for removing oil off of cement driveway

If their is still surface oil, if you get a greasy spot on your finger when you swipe the surface, start with some kitty litter and sweep up the excess on the surface.

Then go to WalMart and get a gallon of Castrol Super Clean. Costs about six bucks now. Douche it with undiluted superclean and hose it off. If the oil has soaked into the concrete the old "rinse and repeat" is in order.

o

Oooh this question was asked last year, I had the same problem. Thought you might like to look at the old thread, tons of great products. I tried gasoline (don't recommend), kitty litter, green clean and the walmart driveway cleaner--gas worked the best for me (NOTE: still don't recommend). Meant to try the dry cement and oven cleaner but ran out of time and the sun seemed to do a good job of bleaching it over the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: last year's thread on oil

o

Greased Lightening worked very well for me. $2. a quart at Dollar General.

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here