Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chriswanderer90

Cleaning the Air at the Dental Lab

chriswanderer90
11 years ago

Hi.

I work at a dental lab, and there are an abundant source of toxic chemicals, dust and probably fungal spores in the air.

Does anyone know how I can make the air cleaner with plants?

I live in Lansdale, PA, zone 7. It gets cold sometimes.. I'm not sure which plant to get without killing it. Thanks!

-Chris Chung

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's a great idea. Could you describe a bit more about the available light, which way the window(s) faces? Some would be fine with just fluorescent lights if that's what you have available. Would a taller, thinner plant be better, or do you have room for a more wide, bushy plant?

I was just about to copy/paste something from the name-that-plant forum, but you happen to have started the thread with that info. Aaah, loose ends tied up!

The Pothos (Epipremnum) you pictured there is a vine that can be given a trellis to climb. That would allow the mass of leaves to increase without the plant taking up more sideways space, just "up space." Known for doing well inside.

• chriswanderer90
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The room I work in is mostly florescent light. But the main office space faces the sun.

Using a trellis sounds neat bc there isnt much space in my work area. But I wonder if the pothos would attach itself to the wall.. I guess thats where pruning comes in.

• afishlady
    11 years ago

Ferns are pretty and don't require lots of light.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Don't know why I missed your question, Chris. I've not seen Pothos make aerial roots that would attach to a wall although I'm sure it's technically possible. Heart-leaf Philodendron will do that, but the aerial roots on Pothos usually remain dormant little nubs unless/until they encounter prolonged moisture - either plain water or moist soil. If it did happen, it would not happen at a pace that you couldn't control with a very occasional snip, or by just rewinding the vine back down the support, then letting it go back up.

• mrdoitall
    11 years ago

Peace lily will grow in rooms with lots of light or very little light. You can't kill them. They look nice. If the plants get to large just split them into 2 pots and let them grow some more. They are nice plants.
    Light: Prefers medium, indirect sunlight. Yellow leaves indicate the Peace Lily is getting too much light. Brown spot and streaks indicate direct sun rays have reached the plant and scorched it. Peace Lilies do fine under florescent lights and some have been known to thrive in rooms with no windows at all! See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality