Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephwebb_gw

need specifics on fishing line trellis for brick wall

stephwebb
19 years ago

I have read many threads about using fishing line for growing morning glories and moon flowers. I would like to string up a fishing line "trellis" against our west-facing brick wall and just need some specifics on how to do this. (Or would galvanized wire be a better choice? - please advise)

How exactly do I attach the fishing line(or wire?) ? I read one tip to bury milk jugs filled with water in the dirt to use as an anchor. Would metal tent stakes work better?

How do I anchor the fishing line to the brick itself? Is there an alternative to drilling holes in my brick? (e.g. clamps or clips?)

and finally, what "pattern" do I use to encourage growth both vertically as well as horizontally? I would appreciate any advice you could give me!

If you have experience in either fishing line or wire, please let me know.

Thank you,

Stephanie

Comments (12)

• paulinep
    19 years ago

You can get those round discs of red concrete and glue them onto the brick. Follow the directions for them, I have found that you need to apply the glue provided to both the brick wall and the disc and wait until it is just tacky then stick one to the other. They have little bendable wires in the discs that can guide the fishing line. I use fishing line for everything. It really is sturdier though to drill into the mortar between the bricks and insert stainless steel eye hooks with concrete anchors. Pauline
    {{gwi:289660}}
    {{gwi:289661}}

• stephwebb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pauline, thanks so much for your posting and going to the effort of putting the photos up of the vine supports.

I think I may just go with anchoring it to the brick or mortar because I would hate for the whole thing to come down in July with the weight of the morning glories if it weren't secure with those disks.

When I asked at the hardware store about eye screws to go into brick, he said to use plastic anchors like you would use in drywall and the stainless eye screws, which weren't very long. Is this what you were talking about? Or are there better anchors for the bricks?

And finally, how far should the fishing line be from the wall to give clearance for the vines and what pattern works best in terms of stringing the fishing line up?

• stephwebb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! Beautiful roses! You have obviously done something right! I think I get how to attach the wire to the brick, but am still not picturing the spacing of the wire (or fishing line)

So did you string your wire only horizontally, or did you have some go vertically or diagonally as well? How many wires and what is the spacing? (I plan to grow morning glories - maybe different pattern needed than for roses?) Thanks for all your help!

• paulinep
    19 years ago

Stephanie, here is a diagram of how we did our wire/hooks. The only thing I was trying to achieve was to hold the climbing rose canes as close to the chimney as possible and to let it do a natural thing otherwise. I had to get on a ladder and coax the growing canes behind the wire, treacherous job with the thorns on a New Dawn Rose I can tell you. But now they are there, I can just trim and push any errant canes back under the wire. You can get your fishing line to go into any pattern that pleases you. If you just want to cover a wall, it wouldn't matter, but if you want a specific design like diamonds, etc., you will need to lay out your hooks and lines accordingly. The pattern you choose will dictate all of this.
    {{gwi:289668}}

• stephwebb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pauline, you are so considerate to give me such detailed instructions. Looking at your photos makes me want to try growing climbing roses instead of morning glories! Thanks again!

• paulinep
    19 years ago

You are welcome Stephanie, remember to post a picture or two when you decide what to do. Remember to have fun, nature has a way of making things right no matter what you decide to do. Sometimes it is best to just jump in there and do something with whatever is at hand.

Pauline

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

Just be careful; I had fishing line for my Orange Noah MG's. This pic shows 4 plants. By October, it was topheavy and some of the string collapsed from the weight. DH put a strip of wood at the top of the brick; eye hooks were put on the bottom of the wood strip; fishing line was strung from the trellis (buried in the photo) to the wood. I could only go up to the top of the brick; the top of the house is siding :(

{{gwi:289671}}

• stephwebb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the warning. Wow, that is four plants, huh?

I am going to try fishing line on one wall and heavy wire on another wire and just do a little experimenting. Those are pretty morning glories! I've never seen orange ones.

Thanks again!

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Hi stephwebb.....I wish I could share a picture of the wire trellis that I just installed on one wall of the back of my (wooden) house. About 12' long, 6' high, with the lower half of my kitchen window as the centerpiece. The actual anchoring system wouldn't work for you---I screwed in 3" door/wall 'bumper' posts in a grid pattern into my boards---but the dark green florist's wire (24 gauge) and the pattern I used might be useful for you.

In a nutshell, I made three horizontal rows of the 3" metal posts. The posts are 18" apart on each horizontal row; the rows are 36" apart vertically. After popping off the little white 'bumper' caps to reveal a small channel at the tip of each post, I strung wire from post to post, first horizontally, then vertically, and then I criss-crossed each 'box' on both diagonals. The result is a grid system that has enough wire to give vines plenty to cling to, and just under 3" of space between the wire and the wall. The system is strong and 'permanent' but will be a snap to take down the next time I have to paint the house. The whole thing cost about $30 for the little posts and the florist's wire. It took about three leisurely hours to measure, drill, install the posts and string the wire.

Don't know if you can picture what I did based on the description! Hope so!

BTW, I've used fishing line in the past for vines, and it's fine, but wanted something a little heftier-yet-barely-visible for this one.

• stephwebb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for all of the ideas and suggestions. I think I'm going to use stainless steel eye screws in plastic anchors into the mortar, and then use florist wire to do a grid like KathiCville. (Thanks for excellent description Kathi! I'm going to copy your design exactly since that's about the size of the wall I want to cover!)

I'll try to post pics later. Thanks again everyone. Now if this icky Dallas weather will only clear up so I can get out there and work in warm sunshine.... :)

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Good luck, Steph!! Glad I was able to help.....Kathi