Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proko_gw

Bitter deterrent safe for fern??

proko
20 years ago

My cat hasn't much bothered my indoor plants before, but I was recently given a nice, big Kimberley Queen fern that she can't keep away from. She has had a good supply of kitty grass at her disposal for quite some time, but she always chooses to munch on the fern when I'm not looking.

I went to the pet store & purchased Fooey!, it only lists water, sodium benzoate (preservative), & denatonium benzoate (bittering agent) as ingredients. This was the only product I could find that didn't have alcohol or other, creepier compounds. I did some research & they're certainly not toxic in tiny concentrations for animals (sodium benzoate is in nearly everything we eat!). The bottle lists plants as a safe item to spray, but it doesn't convince me.

I know one should rarely apply extraneous chemicals to plants...but kitty's tearing mine up. Will this product be OK to spray on the fern without damaging it? What about the fiddleheads (she loves those the most!)? would something like a homemade pepper spray necessarily be better?

Thanks!