Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
therainmaker

Covering over a tennis court

therainmaker
20 years ago

I have a tennis court which I want to get rid of, but can't afford to rip it out. I'd like to fill the area and put grass in, but don't have ANY idea how to go about doing that. Any tips?

Comments (5)

• meldy_nva
    20 years ago

There are asphalt or concrete courts. Which do you have? Is there shrubbery around the court? Do you want the grass just because you like the looks, or would you consider making a patio or paved retreat area? Have you considered raised beds and using the court surface as already-paved pathing?

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

fill? is the court sunken?

meldy's got the best idea, reasonably... build raised beds over it, maybe around a central seating area?

• therainmaker
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That's an interesting idea... I really like the idea of having the raised beds there...the court is sunken... how would I keep it from becoming a pool of water if I just put dirt in and keep certain areas paved? I

• angiebeagles
    20 years ago

Oh, there was someone talking about a basketball court- let me see if i can find it! I'm pasting the answers, cuz it was part of a very long thread- if you're looking for it, it was on Garden Restoration Forum. They also talked about spongepainting a patio- but i don't know if they were serious. This was a really good thread, talking about how to get a garden ready for a garden tour.

RE: 500 Passengers Set Sail That Day For A Three Hour Tour....
    Posted by: ginger_nh z4 NH (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 04 at 8:56

Margie-
    Do your boys still use the basketball court? What are you going to do with it? I have an article somewhere that I saved - a gardener laid down gravel on a blacktop basketball court, planted some groundcover sedums but basically used the area for a container garden - it was magnificent. Also, Beth Chatto's famous English gravel garden was built on a blacktop parking lot. But you probably already know these things.
    G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: 500 Passengers Set Sail That Day For A Three Hour Tour....
    Posted by: Cady 6b MA (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 04 at 10:08

Momcat and Ginger,I used pea gravel to "get rid of" a concrete parking pad and some extra driveway I don't use. It makes a big difference in appearance. And, it's easy to take care of. You can put planters on it, benches, anything. A leafblower and rake removes the organic debris that inevitably ends up there, and any weeds that try to get in there are easy to remove.

• wild_by_nature
    19 years ago

Tremendous possibilities !!!
    Remember " deep within the problem
    there are many solutions "