Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Method for Seed Starting...

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 11:39

Hello-
I have American Bittersweet seeds I saved over the winter in a cold garage. Do I need to do anything special to get these to germinate? Can I just plant them directly in the ground?
Thank you for your time! :-)
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Method for Seed Starting...

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 12:43

Fall sowing may have been a better choice. With it now being almost mid March, you may have to do the stratifying (moist chill for the seeds) in your refrigerator. To save space, put the seeds in a tiny zip lock with a small amount of moist sterile sand or moist vermiculite...just a tsp will be fine for several seeds - they don't have to be buried. Write the date on the bag, when the moist chill is finished, you can sow the contents of the bag, no need to extract the seeds.

Celastrus scandens , American bittersweet , store fresh seed 6m, then sow 3-6m @ 39F, move to 70F for germ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here