Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need vacation watering tip for indoors???

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 12:12

Hi, I water my house plants about every 4-5 days. They are all doing fine. I am going away for 9 days. Is it better to bring them all to the bathtub with sitting water in the tub, or to stick water bottles to the soil? Any other better ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need vacation watering tip for indoors???

for most plants, i would stick them inthe tub. we used to do that if we would be out of town for a while, and never lost a plant. now, we jsut get someone to run by the house and do it for us along with bring inthe mail and papers.

also, if you water them really well before you leave and put them somewhere that they do not get too strong sunlight nor any real moving air fromteh AC, they should be able to go a little longer without water.

o

I don't have any house plants now, but once I had a couple and used the rope trick. I used a very porus piece of rope to wick water into into the container. Can't remember all the particulars.

o

Not sure if you know anyone who works in a hospital but I have several empty IV bags and tubing that was going to be trash that I use for watering house plants when I am away. The tubing has a little roller ball on them to regulate the flow of water. They work great. Of course since I am the one who gets these from work I know the source. The bags are sterile and so is the tubing if used properly.

o

Whatever you do I would suggest lower the light and turn off the airconditioner. Someones bathtub suggestion sounds like a good way to do both. You don't say what you have but I've never had anything that would not survive nine days -- I do know of plants that would not.

o

if I turned off my airconditioner in the summer it would reach way over 100 degrees F in the house and the plants would dry up within about 1 day and fry! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here