Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yonadove

moonflowers from seeds Help!

yonadove
21 years ago

I planted a whole package of Moonflower seeds and not a single one has come up. Its been four weeks now. I pried a couple apart and between the cotyledons are brown wrinkled up leaves. They feel kind of slimey. I used a nail file to scar the hulls and stuck them in peat pots. I have them in a covered growing rack with a plant light. The temps are mild here.

the zinnias and cosmos came up, but the impatiens also never came up.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments (13)

• Brug_boi_2003
    21 years ago

to much water, if they stink that meens they are rotting. i would try over with a fresh pack of seeds, soak them overnight and put in pots. John

• Shelly_In_MI
    20 years ago

Score the seeds with a nail file prior to planting. They are one of those plants that have to have there seed shell scored to germinate.

• Carrie B
    20 years ago

Plant them directly outdoors, it's warm enough where you are and they'll have a much better chance of germinating.

• cherylm
    20 years ago

i get about 100% germination by soaking overnight, then planting 1/2 inch deep, keep moist (not wet) and warm.

• microfarmer
    20 years ago

Mine did the same thing. I didn't score but set outside in pots of peat/potting soil mix during our rainy spring. some sprouted but then started dying.

I pulled a couple after they started dying, and found 1/8" grubs coiled around the tap root. they were eating it as it came out of the seed pod. I used a quality soil so I presume they were introduced from the 'wild'.

• stitches216
    20 years ago

2nd year of near-100 percent germination rate by doing this: nicking and slicing (not just scoring, actually cutting through) the seed shell with a very stiff and sharp knife; placing seeds in lukewarm water in a glass jar; leaving jar on top of freezer or other appliance with constantly warm surface overnight; planting promptly next morning in moist (not soggy) potting mix with about 1 seed-length of mix depth over the top of the seeds; placing outdoors in shady or semi-shady spot, where (and when) night temps stay above 70 degrees F; keeping moist (not soggy) through germination and early growth.

The starter leaves will emerge all chewed-looking, naturally, because they were damaged when the seed was nicked. But they will survive, and life will go on.

• stitches216
    20 years ago

I should have been more specific: slice through at the pointed end of the seeds, not at the end where you should see a little "nib" or "seat" or something like you would see on the "bottom" of a store-bought garlic clove. Slice through say, 1/16th of an inch, but no more, along the axis of the seed, that is, don't cut one end of the seed off, cut through, along the line between the "more pointed end" of the seed and the "seat." More than 1/16th of an inch would be slicing too far along the axis. It takes steady hands and a good cutting board in addition to the stiff, sharp knife, so you can avoid cutting yourself or slipping the knife blade off the side of the seed suddenly and sending the seed "shooting" off across the room...

• dfaustclancy
    20 years ago

Hi,
    Took me 8 months to get my moonflowers to germinate indoors. I find if you plant them where you want them in the fall this year, you will get a couple next year!
    Deb

• KraZbuderfly
    20 years ago

I started my moonflowers and morning glories by knicking the tip like stitches216 said, but instead of using a knife i used my scissor-like cuticle cutter and didnt get a single knick on my fingers. Then laid the seeds in between damp paper towels, placed them flat in gallon size ziploc bags, & then put up on top of the fridge. Germination happened to all my seeds within 2-4 days. Planted germinated seeds as soon as i saw little greenies hatching. :) So far they are doing really good under florescent lights. Can't wait to put them out on the balcony! (Still freezing temperatures at night here in CO)Hope i get the vine covered deck i am wishing for.

• skippy05
    20 years ago

I start moonflowers by nicking just a little with nail clippers. I didn't even bother soaking. Put in peat pellets, one seed to a pellet,
    cover with plastic cover/dome. They start up in less than a week. THEN they go under the lights.
    Were they white seeds to begin with????
    The seeds look like white chocolate covered raisins.
    They are pretty easy to grow. I never give them special attention.

• husky004_
    20 years ago

Well I've never had much luck sowing outside with moonflowers,this year i've soaked in hot water till they are soft usually overnight, then carefully peel the seedcoat off-then pot em up...have at least twelve plants over two feet high already.

• china1940
    20 years ago

Well I don't have any problems with germination, I soak them over night, but when they get up a few inches and get leaves, on them, then I have a problem keeping them alive. And sometimes after I plant them, I have a problem. But once the get going they are great. It seems, I plant a whole packet and then end up with 2 or 3. I know the ground has to be warm.

• Yellow_Rose_of_Texas
    19 years ago

I have tried these for the first time this year. Be sure not to mulch immediately around the plants while they are young (or at all) because the moisture (at least in Texas) will attract doodle-bugs (roly-polys / pill-bugs) at night and they will eat the young plants. Once they get going some, the bugs will leave them alone. I have found that it takes a little while for the seedlings to take off once you transplant them into the ground, but that once they start growing, they will grow very quickly. Good info about the blooming, though!