Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sblake_gw

When I plant annuals in the spring, I hit my bulbs... frustrating

sblake
20 years ago

This is pretty stupid, but I planted some bulbs in the fall when we moved into our house. Our soil is pretty hard, so I tried to get it down as far as I could, but when I plant my annuals, half the time I am hitting my bulbs, or digging them up. It is frustrating! Are they not deep enough? Does anyone else have this stupid problem, or is it just me?!

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• melvalena
    20 years ago

Aren't your bulbs blooming now?

I'm waiting for the bulbs to finish before I put the annuals in where they are.

Melvalena

• vbain
    20 years ago

You need to mark the areas where the bulbs are. Then you can avoid them. Or, you could spread annual seed over top of them

• sblake
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Some of them are blooming now, but I have summer bulbs also. And, I plant things all summer long, here and there as I get stuff. It doesn't seem feasible (sp?) to mark where every single bulb is... you would have markers sticking up everywhere?
    Is this a stupid question or what!

• melvalena
    20 years ago

well, not really stupid..

Where my summer bulbs are going, (cannas) nothing else is going there but them. I'm thinking of maybe something in front of them but not mixed in with them.
    I think the glads are going in pots-- I haven't decided yet.

What summer bulbs are you talking about?
    I guess I'm the one missing something. I can't picture what annuals you would mix in or plant on top of those kinds of bulbs?

Melvalena--nope haven't heard it all yet.

• Gnomlet
    20 years ago

Beg insulated wire from your plumber (the kind they pull up by the hundreds of feet with broken deep-well pumps). Surround your bulbs with a circle of this wire, bend the ends and stick them into the ground to anchor your circle.
    The wire comes in different colors, will last for years, and is unobtrusive flat on the ground.
    Good luck Gnomlet

• meldy_nva
    20 years ago

Actually, it does sound like the bulbs aren't deep enough, but that would depend on which bulb variety and how deep you managed to plant it.

Plant crocus... they can go right on top of the bulbs and will have leaf-sprouts if not blooms by the time you want to plant the annuals in the spring. For summer planting, labels or gnomlet's wire circle are just about the only reliable methods.

• BriansMama
    20 years ago

Or you can do like I do and just view it as one of the ways that your garden is a living, changing entity... 8*)

I often end up digging up bulbs when I'm planting stuff throughout the summer. I either just stuff the bulbs back down or move them a little. Hasn't seemed to be a problem, other than the "Oh s*$t" moments when I dig them up...

-Amy.

• bigeasyjock
    20 years ago

I have used a mesh wire, like a heavy gauge chicken wire I used a fencing wire called ranch wire, in the past to mark where I planted bulbs. The bulbs come up throught the mesh, but when you go to dig you will hit the and will hopefully :> stop to see what you are hitting that won't allow you to dig the hole. Oh I also covered the wire with mulch so its not visible. Mike

• bulbs
    20 years ago

The wire idea sounds good - another thing I do, is add some top-soil above them when planting annuals; less chance of digging too deep to bother the bulbs still in ground.
    For summer, I love the gladiola, but inexpensive enuf not to bother digging up & storing over the winter; just pull up the entire bulb with stem!

• lindac
    20 years ago

sBlake....you need to have a garden plan, so that you know just where the bulbs are and where you will plant your annuals. Sometimes I will put a tongue depressor in the middle of a group of bulbs, and remove it when they emerge, and by the next year I remember where I have planted them.
    I never wait for the bulbs to mature before putting in my annuals....it helps to hide the ugly leaves.
    Linda C

• gldno1
    20 years ago

If I don't dig up a perennial or two or a bulb or two, my garden season just isn't complete.

I made a plan, and have kept a journal for several years. Alas, this Spring, I can't find the darn thing......so I will be winging it once again!

• LauraZone5
    20 years ago

Golf tees spray painted a color you can find but the plain white has been working for me. Available in bags of hundreds very affordably. Plop one in the ground where the plant emerges and when it dies back, you will know where it was when you are ready to plant something else. The gold tees are hardly visible unless you are looking for them.