Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Moss

Posted by sheryl1959 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 11:14

I have lived in my home for 15 years, and have a problem growing grass. The area with the trouble, is located in the front yard under the awning, right in front of the house. The yard also has trees blocking the sunlight most of the day. My husband suggested growing moss there, but I don't know where or how to do that. Is there a recipe to use or can I buy It??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Moss

Sheryl;

You can buy moss from Moss Acres (www.mossacres.com)or you can go out in the woods and collect it if you know a landowner.

Or you might have it already growing somewhere on your property. Just transplant the moss to your shady location.

Water only with rainwater or distilled using a sprayer. Moss needs little water since it has no roots. You want your moss to be watered at least every other day by spraying or raining.

Check out the book "Moss Gardening" by George Schenk

Good luck.

Rick

o

If you have any moss, you can multiply it.

Put some into a blender. Add tsp of sugar and a can of beer or milk. Just barely blend the moss, sugar, and liquid. Paint the blend where you want the new moss. Of course, it should be a shady spot or it wont grow.

Mist it gently for a week.

o

How much beer and or milk would I need for a garden of 300 square feet? I would like to do this economically. Do I mix it with water?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here