Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding reliable U.S. Heat Zone reference(s)

Posted by diamondjen none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 12:53

Hey everyone! I've been looking up several plants recently and wanted to locate their respective U.S. Heat Zones, however, usually every source I look up on google tells me something different. This isn't exactly helpful when I need to know the exact Heat Zones for each specific plant. Is there a site or sites out there that actually have true, reliable information so I don't lead myself and others astray? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding reliable U.S. Heat Zone reference(s)

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 13:02

You could instead try indicating where you are geographically and then asking about experiences of others with those plants in the same region on this and other web sites with forums. You could also try asking about them at independent nurseries in your area; of course, success with this depends on speaking with someone who knows what you want to find out - but if you have organized special plant sales with multiple micro-nurseries participating you can often talk to the growers themselves at these affairs (rather than underpaid, seasonal sales clerks). Many will be enthusiasts with experience of many different kind of plants - except for those that are narrowly focused on one particular kind, say tomato plants or fuchsias.

o

In my opinion, there are vendors that will make plants more compatible than others. You learn to trust some vendors based on recommendation and experience. I use Fedco because they are in the Northeast US close by (and because I trust them well enough). If nothing else, the safest approach is to pick the apparently most conservative guess. Where I live, I usually worry more about what will die in the winter than what will bolt in the summer. Not sure what part of the world you are in, though it might help with getting recommendations from other people.

o

I have a list of a bunch of ''zone''maps at AHS Plant Heat Zone Maps by State. - Vegetable Gardening Forum - GardenWeb which may be useful or just add to the confusion.

Sunset zones often incorporate the most detail including such factors as altitude.

o

I have a list of a bunch of ''zone''maps at AHS Plant Heat Zone Maps by State. - Vegetable Gardening Forum - GardenWeb which may be useful or just add to the confusion.

Sunset zones often incorporate the most detail including such factors as altitude.

o

this is not for free - you'll need to pay for a detailed copy, but you can see a general map at least.
if you plug in am..hort.soc.."heat zones" and look for images you'll see lots of maps. perhaps you can find smth more detailed for where you are or what you're interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: american horticultural society heat zones

o

there is also this:
plantzones created an on-line interactive map of North America that allows the user to turn on the heat zones over a Google Map of North America. It also has a "plant selector" that can show where a plant is adapted based on climatic data.
i haven't tried it myself, but at least you can explore

Here is a link that might be useful: plantzones

o

the site below gives you a portion of the heat zone map by state.
there is also a book "Heat-Zone Gardening" that has a list of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: heat zones by state

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here