Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

can cat urine somehow kill a plants roots?

Lynn Nevins
20 years ago

I've come to discover that my darling little "(semi!) Tamed Beast" (as I affectionately refer to him), has been digging up the rocks and soil in the containerized draceana tree in my apartment... not for "fun" as I'd initially thought, but to apparently pee in. While I apparently need to be more diligent in spraying a harmless but smelly "critter" deterrant on the soil each day, I wonder if the peeing he's already done could somehow do harm to the roots. Anybody know?

TX!

Comments (11)

• bonniepunch
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Urea (present in urine) is nitrogen, and it can burn roots, and kill a plant if it is not diluted. If you suspect that the cat has been peeing in the soil, then you should probably give the plant a really good watering to dilute the urea.

I keep my cats out of my containers by covering the soil with large pieces of bark mulch - it looks ok, and is too big and heavy for the cats to bother with. I've used cheap bamboo skewers poked in the soil to keep them out in the past. Anything that will cover the soil, or make it difficult to pee in the pot should work. Also, once you make the pot unappealing, no matter how clean you keep your cat pan, keep it even cleaner!

BP

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    20 years ago

Is this light enough you could take it to the sink and really flush the container? Fill with water several times until water is freely running out of the drainage hole? Then wait to water again until it needs the moisture.

The skewers as mentioned above should keep kitty from your plant....or if you have a very persistent cat, there is a spray repellent called Boundary that you can purchase at pet supply stores that is effective for most cats. Spray the outside of your container. (my cat used to go in the fireplace every so often...when I would see ashy footprints on the hearth, I knew it was time to burn a few newspapers)

• jannie
    18 years ago

My potted rubber tree started smelling VERY VERY bad. I discovered the cat had dug up an buried here feces in the pot. I scooped it out, replaced the soil, wattered well outdoors, then put some decorative river rock on top, to cover the soil but allow water in. She leaves it alone now. By the way, the cat is twelve years old and NEVER did this before. I attribute it to temporary insanity or an intestinal infection of some kind.

• gizigage
    13 years ago

This is all well and good, for male cats who dig more.
    What about females who spray? I suspect my tomatoes plants have fallen victim to this. I caught her in the act last year. She spends 75% of her time outside. Is there any way to keep her away from the garden? I could then take that variable out of the death equation.

• pgt_mweb_co_za
    13 years ago

There are two places in my garden where my cats have peed and pooped, and now plants don't want to grow there. Is there any way I can treat the soil? I have been told cat pee is acid -- would it help to use some bicarbonate of soda to restore the soil PH? If not, is there any other treatment that works? Thanks! :-)

• Ossian
    11 years ago

I also very much want to know this. I live in a courtyard with big planters but nothing grows in them. We have lots of cats. I used to think that it was because they are always digging up the soil. However I have created a fence round one to plant some tomatoes and they have gone yellow on the lower leaves. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

• Cat_C
    11 years ago

Hi, is cat urine and feces really that bad for plants? I think they would help keep away voles and moles which can be far more damaging. There's a lot of coyote and bob cat feces on my property anyway, I figured it'll just become compost and they too should keep away small mammals. I found my cat peeing near my flowers the other day, but the flowers seem fine. I do keep my edible garden in a protected area where the cats (and deer) cannot enter. But I wonder if the danger to flowers are so great... Anyway, I do mulch around my more precious plants with leaves etc and these pokey covering discourages the cats.

• Ava Browning
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My cat has a spot in the backyard that I have cordoned off with bricks and he uses it for a litter box. I want to line up with flowers what kind of plants would be good to put around it that his urine and feces won't affect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I want to make it look decent and kind of whimsical

• Siacri Six
    4 years ago

Cats..the clean thing is a lie.. ive wached female cats nudge their offspring away from an open bag of food and encourage the babies to eat fecal matter.. i wach friends cats rake their butts onto a couch cushon then lay down and take a nap in the residuals..wake up and hop onto the lap of a 5year old as they ate kettle korn and pet the "clean" kitty.. i dont hate cats..im a man and i cried when my manx boy was hit by a car..but ive seen well fed cats consume rotting rats right out of a rat trap..im not sure you wanna consider the potential parasitic roundworm and other such potentials in play here.. and if its a food plant they contaminated then kill the plant and fence off the next one..(i bet you thought i was gona say to kill the cat.. No..not unless its crapping on things as a revenge tactic..once they go there it only gets worse..and i speak from experience.. but thats another story in itself..a crazy one at that..so..fence it off.. a rubber band gun is a harmless threat if you can catch em in the act.. i dont think they are as picky as people think.. ive had too much time on my hands and im trained to observe behaviors..peace..