Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone dust driveway

Posted by anngarden2 z5NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 19:19

Has anyone had experience with a limestone driveway? I believe it is 2" depth of 1" drainage stone compacted with 2" of stone dust(limestone) compacted on the top. Does anyone have pictures?
I have a blacktop drive and want to extend it to the backside of the house for parking. I don't think I want to go to the work of driveway pavers and I do not like more blacktop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone dust driveway

Around here the quarries sell a product called "crush-and-run" which is really just gravel with all the small stone and dust included. Their proper name, by DOT regulations, is #810modified. Since most of the rock formations around here are limestone the product is basically what you have described.

My driveway is about 1000 feet long and I have this 'limestone with the fines' (crush-n-run) the full length. It packs very well and only washes from steep areas if there is a very hard rain. Otherwise, it drains well and does not become mushy, mucky, or mud at all (it does need to be installed with proper drainage.)

For most of the area that I have this material over I have come back with a layer of washed limestone gravel for a surface that is not as dusty. This layer needs to be laid down before the base material (crush-n-run) is packed hard else it will be like loose gravel on concrete. It packs really hard.

I have far too much drive/parking/turn-around to think about asphalt or concrete. Besides, being in the country, I like the informal look of the gravel drive.

This is my first time in this forum. I just jumped in here and started "talking". I hope I have not intruded on anyone. Anyway, maybe this helps.

Jazzbone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here