Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bee_bee_gw

Help sprucing bare yard, where do I even begin

Bee_bee
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to gardening, so forgive me if I am vague in my questions or terms.
I have a yard that is practically bare (just soil and some weed), though other parts of the house do have some nice trees/plants growing, planted by the previous owner of the house.
I am located in Bay Area of California, the soil seems to be clay like or loamy (not sure how exactly to tell, but it is not like the planting mix from the nursery).
This spring, I would like to try to spruce up this backyard. I am planning to design a simple landscape, select and purchase the the plants and have the gardener do the planting.
I'm thinking of the following criteria for this yard:
- no lawn/grass (water conservation) - instead use mulch to cover the non-planted areas (not sure whether this is a good idea
- low maintenance plants (easy to grow for a newbie like me, relatively drought tolerant, doesn't require too much water)
- relatively neat (don't like plants to grow too scraggly/ leggy/bushy/invasive)
- on a budget (especially since i'm trying to fill a bare yard, i'd probably have to purchase many plants)

Overall, I guess I'm looking for a simple design that looks pleasant, but is easy to maintain.

I have so many questions, yet don't even really know how to start. Maybe if anyone is kind enough to have any immediate thoughts/comments based on my post.

I guess my most immediate question is, does anyone have any ideas for a predominantly mulch-covered yard design. I haven't seen many on the net, most have big patch of grass in the middle, with plants on the borders by the fence.

On types of plants, any comments appreciated. I'm open to any types (floral/shrubs/trees/succulents), but am wondering if plants that are relatively easy to grow usually end up growing too much (like that one big bush of geranium on the right corner of the photo).

Thank you again.

Bee

Comments (2)