Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer for Impatiens

Posted by marylynh1 So Cal (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 04 at 20:50

The instructions to grow Impatiens say to use an evenly balanced fertilizer. What is considered an evenly balanced fertilizer? I have Stern's Miracle gro which I think is 15-30-15. Is this OK? How much to a gallon of water?

Thanks, Marylyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer for Impatiens

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 6, 04 at 21:46

An evenly balanced fertilizer would be something like Peters 20-20-20 (my personal favorite)or for another example a formula of 14-14-14....meaning equal amounts of N-P-K.

o

Thanks so much.

Marylyn

o

marylyn, while you're at it, am told to use half of what the package recomends. they'd like for you to use it faster...

regards, dick

o

I was informed this year NOT to fertilize Impatiens, even from the seedling stage. I was surprised to hear this, and sure enough it is listed in both the Park Seed and Stokes Seed catalogs not to fertilize. It causes the plant foliage to grow at the expense of flowers.

I grew some Tempo Butterfly Impatiens late in the season just to test this. Sure enough, they are blooming perfectly, and have never had one bit of fertilizer.

Who would have known that one on their own, huh?!

o

I purchased a small tub of fertilizer 10-50-10 to plan for my container garden. The containers have mixes of climbing roses, skyrocket junipers, clematis, and lilies. I am currently growing impatiens and petunias indoors before adding to those containers. Did I purchase the right fertilzer for a bloom fest over the spring and summer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here