Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cement Repair

Posted by mell_or zone8/OR (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 22:19

I need to repair a couple cement items.
#1 is a an oriental cement statue which was dropped and the legs broke. The breaks are clean in three spots. What would you use to repair the breaks? Glue or cement??

#2 is an old cement bird bath that is cracked and leaking. What would you use to reline the bath? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cement Repair

I've repaired a number of statues, broken fountains, etc. there is a product called 'Gorilla Glue'. It's available at Home Depot, etc. ($5) Buy the smallest size (a bit goes a long ways) and don't use too much as it expands. It can go on wet surfaces and is incredibly strong.

Re your bird bath. If there are sizeable cracks, use a mortar mix ($6 bag) and apply a thin 1/4" light coat. 'If' the color isn't quite right then add a bit of color...the building stores have additives). There's also cement like products available for repairing basement leaks. These work fine. The ones you need to add water to are usually better than the ones that come ready for use.

It's surprising how many fountains and pumps have been left unused in backyards for years. I buy them up for a few dollars and most fix up in a jiffy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here