Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Homemade insecticide doesn't work

Posted by ericpg 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 2:08

I used this homemade recipe as an insecticide:
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 tablespoon of Murphys Original Concentrated Oil Soap (with a heavy cleaning ratio of 120ml: 4L of water)
1 tablespoon of baking soda
2 crashed garlic cloves mixed in 1 gallon of water.
I used it a few times on sawfly larvae and aphids that were found on rose bushes. However, I felt that it wasnt working, so I checked it after spraying it. More than 30 minutes later, the recipe still seemed to not work on the bugs, so I was wondering if anyone has successfully used this recipe or knows if I incorrectly mixed something.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Homemade insecticide doesn't work

i had this problem with my twin's baby pine tree that turned 4 this year, and it was covered. i read an online recipe, decided to add an extra kick, and they dropped like flies upon spraying.

INGREDIENTS
-2 tablespoons of dawn dish soap (preferrably bleach dawn)
- 1 tablespoon of spic and span floor cleaner
-quart mason jar
- water

put the soap and spic and span on the bottom of the jar and swirl in the bottom until it is a mixture of soapy awewsomeness. then, fill the quart jar up with water and mix it with a spoon. transfer it to a spray bottle, and spray lightly in the affected area, upon spraying, they should drop like flies. the chemicals will finish off the survivors. if there are some left, spray again. you'll also want to water your plant well during and after the elimination process until the affected areas begin to heal.
Hope this helped!
love,
bug_killer97, your thirteen year old exterminator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here