Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Major Ivy Crisis!

Posted by TheMrsG none (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 7:30

Hey, so there appears to be some awful Ivy growing all over my sheds and walls. Problem is, the roots are not to be seen! I'm not sure if they are at the very back of the sheds or even in the neighbours garden! (They are not gardeners) the ivy has been growing for about 20years +.

I've cut it right back, but within weeks it's back and worse. We have some big plans for our garden and feel we cannot even start before getting rid of the ivy.

Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Major Ivy Crisis!

You do need to get the roots and but for now, you can keep cutting, and stay on top of it. It may still be getting energy (chlorophyll) from other parts that you can't see since you don't know where the plant originates from.

An alternative is to take one of the vine sections and stick it in some herbicide in a container. That way, you only affect that vine. Leave it in there for a few days.

You may have to repeat the procedure over the season or even for a few more years to come, but hopefully it helps to get the herbicide back to some of the originating roots.

o
RE: Help! Major Ivy Crisis!

That's great thankyou. I've always hated Ivy. And know I remember why!

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here