Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening with allergies

Posted by ten_steps_ahead 6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 8:59

Two years ago I was diagnosed with out door allergies. I told the doctor this can't happen, I'm a gardener! She said "not anymore". I'll show them I thought. Any way last year wasn't too bad, but this spring it has brought me to my knees. Congestion, aches, fever, coughing, now I have all of these meds to take. Saturday I was outside all day playing in the dirt and by Saturday night I was a mess (and still am). Anybody out there with allergies? How do you cope? Any tricks I could try? Any tip will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening with allergies

My husband suffers terribly from outdoor allergens, but his symptoms have improved incredibly since he began using a nasal irrigator regularly. His is an electric model. He hasn't had a sinus headache or infection in the four years he's been using it. It also reduces the congestion of a cold.

He uses it several times a week, and always after mowing or doing other outdoor work. He's a professional horticulturist, by the way. ;-)

o

• Posted by vrie 3/4 MT (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 08 at 17:33

If I know that some of my irritants are in season, I pop the allergy meds BEFORE I go out.
I am allergic to one of our more predominant weeds, so I am careful to hit that stuff while it is so small I can barely see it (luckily it's pretty distinctive) but it hides in my tall stuff and lives happily in other people's yards and the empty fields around me.
I also pay my kids to weed the weed if it gets very big, as I can't pull the stuff with gloves on, and when I try I break out and get horrible miserable from breathing near it

o

the thing is, your allergie, thingi is in your nose and your inner eye by the nose. thats where they get the histamines. so i imagine if you also take the eye drops also along with the nose thingi (hubby takes veramyst). then you should be ok. IMO :'))

o

For years now, I live on Zyrtec & Claritin D. Year round to boot. The last week, my allergies have been horrible, yet it doesn't stop me from gardening...

o

Thanks for all of your tips. It's much appreciated! Doc had me on Singulair and next year we are going to start it sooner. I also want to try the nasal irrigator.

o

• Posted by cris 6b RI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 9:34

I'm a landscape designer who suffers from indoor and outdoor allergies. Weeds, grass, and molds are my outdoor allergens. I take Xyzal, Singular, Astelin, and Flonase in my bad seasons. All four do cover my allergies pretty well. In the fall, when the molds kick in, I do use nasal irrigation and it does work.

Try a couple of other meds with the singular...I really like the ones I'm on and I feel pretty normal when all four are used. In my not so bad seasons, I go down to maybe 2 or 3 of the meds. I'm allergic to my indoor cat so I need to take them all year around.

o

A tip a doctor told me that was very helpful is this. Always take a shower and wash your hair before you go to bed. People that love to garden come in at night with their hair full of pollen and then lay down and sleep in a pillow that is now full of pollen. Makes sense right! This has helped me a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here