Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting birds not to build in my hanging baskets

Posted by jdunham Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 16:21

Help...I just bought beautiful baskets of Million Bells and the morning doves are eyeing them as a future home. What can I do? I was considering moth balls...will those chemicals hurts my plants?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting birds not to build in my hanging baskets

I think the the chemicals in moth balls will leach out and kill the plants. Dont know for sure.

If you do find a way please let me know! I always have birds in my baskets. I do leave them though the kids love them.

carey

o

GO TO THE LOCAL DOLLAR STORE AND BUY A FEW RUBBER SNAKES TO PUT IN THE POTS. IT WORKS FOR CHERRY TREES, BUT AGAIN, IT MIGHT KEEP YOUR FRIENDS AWAY ALSO.
DALE

o

Put lots of tooth picks all over in the baskets. When the birds try to land they are surprised by the picks and dont build nests. Use lots of toothpicks and its cheap.

o

Hi! I posted this in an area that was asking how to keep dogs from lying in flower beds, but originaly I did it to keep the morning doves out of my hanging baskets. They are a pretty, but very stubborn bird when it comes to getting them to stay away from your baskets. They do not scare easily if at all. I finally tried this, after trying unsuccessfully to get rid of them for years and have not had a problem since. Buy bamboo skewers (like the kind you use for shish-ka-bobs) cut to length for whatever type of flowers are in your baskets, so the skewers don't show. Space them close enough together so the bird cannot sit it's plump derrier in the basket to nest. You won't even have one of them try it, they seem to see the stakes and realize FINALLY! that this is not a place for them. Good Luck.

o

I use plastic forks, tines up and handle in the soil. The birds won't sit on them to nest and the plants soon hide them. Can be used year to year so they are frugal.
Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here