Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing bing cherry tree (new)

Posted by Bee_bee 9b, CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:57

Hi,
I'm very new to gardening. Would appreciate any advice on what type of fertilizer should I get for a newly planted semi-dwarf cherry tree (bought it about 1-2 months ago as bare root, now sprouting leaves as in the photo attached). Local nursery suggested using EB stone organic citrus & fruit fertilizer (7.3.3). But I saw somewhere in the web that it's better to use low nitrogen fertilizer. We already have a bag of non-organic citrus & avocado fertilizer (14.4.8) (as we have an avocado and young citrus tree), wondering if we can use that.

Thank you

This post was edited by Bee_bee on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing bing cherry tree (new)

no advice at all?

That's not like this group!

I've always been cautioned not to fertilize new plantings until they're established, the logic being that fertilizer stimulates an organism that's just been through a trauma (transplant).

sort of like noticing that a heart transplant patient looks a little puny, so you give him a cappucino & a diet pill to perk him up!

You might post on the Trees forum & on the California forum.

Best luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here