Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From Garden Bliss to Badlands

Posted by bavarian29 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 22:19

Before we moved to another county, my wife and I never quite appreciated that we had about 2 feet of perfect garden soil that had been deposited over many years, toward the low part of a gently sloping lot. Whatever we planted grew to lush perfection; tomatoes, beans, cucumber, asparagus and more. Then we moved to a rustic surrounding with lots of room and realised that when it came to gardening it was the badlands. Tough wild grass and at the most 2 inches of lousy dirt and then the top of a limestone formation laid down by an ancient sea.
A 3 foot by 60 foot bed was planned against an existing fence. After many hours of backbreaking work with post hole digger and crowbar loosened the layer of fractured stone. Fill in with good garden soil to about 10 inches came next. The removed stones were laid along the border. This would not keep the grass pest from growing back invading the planting area. There were of course the plasti c border strips. These could not be anchored securely with against the bumps from the mower. Flat 2 inch concrete stones were also considered at a cost that was bearable Then I remembered that the last roofing contractor left about 50 surplus roofing tile stored away in a shed. This no-cost solution gave a low profile barrier. The width had room for the mower wheels and a layer of the stones. I hope that there is no chemical leaching from the asphalt tiles. They will not let the grass grow through for sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From Garden Bliss to Badlands

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 19:13

Sounds like a wonderful solution.

o
RE: From Garden Bliss to Badlands

You could rent a sodding machine and make a large border free of grass around your gardens and beds. Roll up the sodded grass, put in in a compost pile and forget about it for a year... You should have nothing but good dirt in the sod pile after that...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here