Posted by jane99 sw missouri (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 0:58

Hello. I'm looking for possibly a pen that is really
permanent. My nametags for plants always fade away
fairly soon it seems............. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant markers

The only plant markers I've found that lasted were the thin metal kind that takes an impression of the letters from the pen you use and some I made with my inkjet printer onto Avery address labels. They surprised me a lot since I figured they would be gone in a few months, but put onto the metal labels, they've lasted at least 2 years. I haven't found a pen that will last very long at all. I hope somebody knows of one.

o

Just dab a clear coat of polyurethane over a label and it'll last. You can buy a small bottle (1.99) in the model paint section. Open it and use a bit of paper towell, swab, napkin or antything else, rub it over dry permament marker ink. Scew lid back on. Takes 5 seconds.

o

• Posted by jane99 sw missouri (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 18:12

poly sounds easy enough - thanks for the idea -
have you tried it and know it to hold up for years?

o

china markers/wax pencils are sun and weather proof.

o

I made a few labels a couple of years ago by using my ink jet printer and Avery labels. I put them on some of the inexpensive metal labels, not copper ones, and they still are bright and legible. I figured the Avery label would be gone by the end of the summer but they've survived for at least 2 years. It was a total surprise to me. I didn't cover the label with anything and they are still sticking to the metal. Live and learn!

o

Buy a Dymo tape label embosser. The tape adheres great to metal markers and they seem to last many years. Even if they fade eventually (and mine have not), the raised lettering lets you read the label. I use an "Office Mate II 1540 (and use the 1/2 tape).

I put the primary plant name on the front and the variety on the back of the marker.

o

Use an ordinary school lead pencil when writing on mini blinds cut into strips. It lasts for years!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here