Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osagej

Tree cutting/Stump removal prices

osagej
19 years ago

I have a pine tree growing by the corner of the house.

I would say its about 50 ft. I live in S. California.

1) I was quoted $300 to cut down and remove

Another $200 for stump removal

Is this reasonble ? Should I go ahead and keep calling for estimates or is this in the ball park

2) What is the best way to get rid of this stump ?

Burning is certainly out of the question.

Is buttermilk or nitrogen fertilizer the best way ?

3) Has anyone used a stump grinder, is it very dangerous to use ? I've heard I should be able to rent one out. Can anyone advise where.

Thanks in advance for your comments !!

Comments (14)

• lisanti07028
    19 years ago

That price would be okay here in NJ; I don't know about CA. I would think twice about renting the stump grinder - it's a pretty serious piece of machinery, and while it's not rocket science, I think that you better know what you're doing when you fire it up - watch someone do it and see what you think.
    Do you have to grind it away? If you get it cut as close to the ground as you can, and plant right up to it, you won't have to see it as it rots away, which it will. Just being cheap and lazy, I only have had the middle-of-the-yard stumps ground out; the others, which happen to be yew, spruce, and cedar, I just covered with mulch. Pines and conifers apparently do not sucker from a stump the way maples and other deciduous trees do.

Good luck with it, however you decide.

Joan

• thorspippi
    19 years ago

We just had two huge deciduous trees and a row of diseased privet taken out. Both tree stumps ground to about 6-8" below surface. Total cost was around $1500. In Sacramento.

We had one bid that was much lower, but the guy didn't have a cherry picker and he didn't show up on the scheduled day.

So yeah, I'd say that's a very good price.

• stacey_turner
    19 years ago

When we moved into our house, we had a huge stump in the garden. It was pretty well rotted, so we thought we could chop it up with an axe or pickaxe, then remove the pieces. We were so very wrong. :-) In the end, we had to bring in stump grinders. In England, they don't rent the stump grinders to you; they just come and grind the stump for you. It cost us fifty pounds and it was worth every penny.

• kilroyc
    19 years ago

I just had 2 60+ ft Pine Trees removed and the stumps ground out probably 18"+ under the ground.

The tree removal was $325 per tree, and $55 for the stumps.

I live in Atlanta and the variation on quotes was as high as $800 per tree, so just keep getting quotes. And i wouldnt operate the stump grinder this guy used by myself.

• myonlysunshine
    19 years ago

I live in Ma and was looking at taking down a 40ft oak tree and was quoted a price of $3500,needless to say I still have an oak tree.

• plantman314
    19 years ago

I almost always run a stump grinder by myself. They are extremely easy to use, require minimal physical exertion, and are completely safe as long you wear protective equipment and follow the directions for use.

However, if you only have two trees to grind then having it done for $200 will probably be a great deal. As long as the company is removing the wood chips, and refilling the holes with topsoil. In my area rental ussually runs about $125 to $175 per day.If you do rent try to get a Vermeer.

• jrwheel_verizon_net
    12 years ago

stump removal

• robertz6
    12 years ago

"As long as the company is removing the wood chips, and refilling the holes with topsoil."

Wow, I've never heard of that. In my area, midwest, the tree services just leave the mix of wood chips and soil where they are, in a heap. I got a quote of $3000 for three trees and stump grinding, and the stump grindings would be left in place,

• sdolig_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I recently took down some trees for a friend , leaving 6 behind as I did not feel qualified to drop them as the close proxcimity to the home, I did however remove 23 others, birch ironwood, maple etc all trees were dead and my cost based on suggestions from a landscaping escavater only was to base the price on hourly chg/ 80.00/hr and or job size. Adding it all up I am about 950.00 to 1,050, this included taking all the trunks and main beams and cutting and stacking it all for firewood. Do you feel this is a fair price I charged my friend. the trees all averaged 20>30 ft tall and 3" dia to 12 " dia.

• Jawad_Huleis_us_mcd_com
    12 years ago

I need to know what estimates from three pines trees and cutting other sticks from other trees

• helenh
    12 years ago

That price sounds very cheap to me. I don't think I could get it done here for that price.

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

My cost a year ago in North Central Texas for removing one large tree and grinding the stump/roots (removing the limbs and trunk w/o removing the wood chips from the stump) was $300. I decided to compost the mixture of soil and wood chips (carbon) that was left by mixing in a good deal of lawn fertilizer (nitrogen) and leaving it over the winter. I also buried vegetable and fruit refuse there during winter. In the spring I had beautiful, fertile soil ready to plant roses.

• emill1009
    11 years ago

Hello,

Does anybody know an updated price for removing a 40ft oak tree, in Pittsburgh, PA area.

Thank you.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

spam reported.

At those New England prices, it might be worth your while to pay somebody to drive up from Texas...

I always pour sugary stuff onto stumps;
    the stumps don't disappear immediately, but it's quiet, & it costs just about nothing, since I use things like flat Cokes, sugar that's gotten wet, old jellies & jams, etc.

A friend told me that he speeds up the process by drilling holes in the top of the stump (I bet you could hammer nails in there & pull them out) & filling the holes with sugar water.

got any small boys in your household?
    They can water that stump, too, although if you live in town, warn them not to help out in daylight.