Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nirmala_gw

racoons are destroying my plants

nirmala
20 years ago

I have racoons and ground hogs eating my plants.I had tried

animal catcher.As soon as he takes away one racoon in the cage, another one settles under my deck.How do i protect my garden from these.Help me

Comments (8)

• gardeningangel_z6
    20 years ago

I don't believe the 'coons are eating your plant , but the groundhogs sure will!!!
    The 'coons dig my potted plants out of their pots looking for grubs , and dig up freshly planted plants from flowerbeds , for the same reason.
    A groundhog ate off a whole row of my sweet potato plants , right down to the ground!!!
    Check the wildlife forum for the thread'groundhog living in my garage'.It will tell you more than you want to know about those critters!!!!!!

• CypressTX
    20 years ago

I know this method works with keeping skunks away so maybe it will work for other critters. Go to the store and get a box of plain moth balls. Scatter them around where you have been having problems. It worked great for us! No more skunk! Good luck!

• paget
    19 years ago

Hey, racoons are pretty mischievious, at least from my human perspective. They trash my pond and even eat the tops off the sunflowers. I wouldn't put them past almost anything. They are smart and eventually learn find ways around your preventions.

• bommie
    19 years ago

I would secure the area under your deck so raccoons can't get in there.
    This might take a lot of work, but it should help.

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

Yes, you need to eliminate the places the critters hide.

I had to burn an old outbuilding years ago to keep the groundhogs away.

Now I wish I'd tried to pump concrete underneath instead.

I've heard people say that you can get electric fence to put around your garden.

I'd do it if this happened again.

Keep in mind, you CAN shoot these critters. HaveAHart traps work well to make them hold still while you aim.

• shotty66
    17 years ago

Ive hunted&traped coon all my life, if you dont want to kill them live trapes baited with sardines in oil not tomato or mustard sauce. this will do the trick. electric fence set at 4inches then another strand at 8 inches should keep most coon & g.hogs out good luck

• m edwards
    5 years ago

Did you know that the wildlife people at the State of Washington say that most raccoons lifespan is 3 years and most of them starve to death. I find that very sad. it is spring now and they have young to feed. I would be happy if they ate the slugs and snails in my garden. Those little creatures do more damage than the raccoons do.

It is such a problem for me because I don't want them to starve but feeding them means they have more babies. They are very smart and can figure out how to unscrew a lid from a container with cat food in it. We have seen possums in the garden but not ground hogs. They aren't the same are they?

Here if trappers come and trap a raccoon it is put to sleep. they do not turn them loose somewhere else because they would starve to death. That is State law.

My solution is to live with them and find ways to keep them separate from my pets and looking for shrubs and plants that would provide them with enough food to keep them from starving to death without giving them so much that they over breed. It would be nice if there was something to feed them that would be effective birth control for them. lol

I came to this site to get ideas on plants that would provide food for them and decided to comment because we humans often move into their neighborhood.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

We've a problem with ground squirrels. I suppose that is rather like little tiny racoon, perhaps.