Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I kill unwanted trees?

Posted by Gigglechick NorCal - 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 13:15

I have 3 old walnut trees that we have cut into stumps and countless little trees ( I have no idea what they are ). They are right along the fence line and causing damage. Since we cut everything into stumps they keep growing tiny little limbs but I want them gone. What's the best way to kill them without too harsh of chemicals since I try to avoid those if possible. Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I kill unwanted trees?

If you wish to use a chemical approach, herbicides containing glyphosate, such as Roundup, can be painted on freshly cut stumps or stems. This works best in fall. There are other herbicides that can be used in this way too, such as those containing triclopyr. This technique uses only a tiny amount of herbicide, is targeted precisely, and the material will biodegrade completely over time. These two herbicides are used by environmentally responsible organizations such as Nature Conservancy to control unwanted trees. Make sure to follow all the label directions. Details can be found at the link.

Physically removing the stump is a very good way to eliminate the problem, if you are able to do it, since the planting area is then free of roots and quickly available for replant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Conservancy

o

Thank you so much for the advice. Now I have a direction to attack. That is a great site too.

o

The "organic" way to eliminate a tree stump is as follows:

First, cut the stump off at ground level. This may require digging down around the stump to get clearance for your saw.

Second, go to an established forest, where rotting wood has accumulated. NOT a tree farm.

Dig up a bucket full of forest loam, preferrably from under a rotting tree trunk.

This loam contains wood eating microbes, bacteria and fungi that live off dead wood.

Take an axe, and chop into the top of the stump a few dozen times. This exposes more surface area for the microbes.

Cover the stump with the forest loam. Water carefully, don't wash away the dirt.

Keep moist. After a year, the stump should have rotted away.

Even four inch thick tree limbs left touching the ground will be half-rotted in a year's time.

I cleared my fenceline a few years ago and left the wood lying there when I got tired of chopping.

A year later, I tried to pick up the 4 inch thick tree limb to drag it out of my way and it snapped like a dry twig.

o

Wow, that's amazing. I have to admit I would never have thought of that, but it does make sense. I admit it will be dificult to do it since there are plants nearby but I will definately give it a try. Thanks. :)

o

Is it true that if you put salt on a fresh cut tree stump that it will die? This message did help me. I live where there are animals and kids. Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here