Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garylange

gohpers &voles

garylange
20 years ago

I have what look to be gohpers, but they're digging right next to the base of my dwarf fruit tree's. My peach tree used to produce wonderful peaches, but has'nt now in the last two years. I'm wondering if these varmits are eating the roots and destroying my tree's. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions.

Comments (9)

• momherb
    20 years ago

Yikes. I also have gophers in my yard. At one time I had surrounded my gardens with about 10 inches of chicken wire, dug into the ground. Now it's rusting and they're getting in. Unfortunately, most of the remedies you read about don't work at all. The only thing I've found to be effective is a small trap. As an environmentalist and an animal lover, this was a difficult decision but I had no choice. They're very small, made of green metal. I can't remember the name right (I think it starts with an "m") now but they're well recommended and available at feed stores. They should come with an instruction sheet. Follow it well. Good luck to you.

• oldgopher
    20 years ago

I know that this post is about a year old but I wanted to add my two cents-As someone who has battled gophers for the last twenty years and has not won yet I have come to the conclusion that they are like the borg on star trek-they'll keep coming back now matter what you try,and believe me i've tried everything from the macabie traps to chewing gum to broken glass in their holes. the macabie trap is a reliable tool but should be used in pairs,along with other methods,as a control for pocket gophers, control,(not eradication).If your neighbors have them then they will invade your yard.try to organize a neighborhood effort and have everyone involved try to get the dirty varmints in unison,using traps,poison bombs/baits and my favorite- a hose attached to my truck exhaust with the other end in the hole-above all do not give up because they eat the roots off of anything and everything-I think they eat rocks and convert it to soil but I haven't proven it yet. good luck

• mmdmaster
    20 years ago

How about glue traps for mice. I wonder if you can insert them in a tunnel?

• Shiza
    20 years ago

I was just reading that putting Exlax in the holes will work wonders. Personally, I've never tried it but it's worth a shot??? (I don't have a problem with them)
    Shiza

• dendy
    20 years ago

omg I cant belive what I am reading...

Why would you want to kill all of these critters in such horrible fashions? They dont know any better they are doing what is natural to them.... You can not control nature so why bother fighting it like this?

Why dont you plant a garden just for them??? working with instead of against might work

but then again I dont have a problem with those mine is with squirrels but I have never tried to harm them ever

Not sure look here?

• Shiza
    20 years ago

Dendy,
    I'm sure your a good hearted person and I commend you for that! The only problem is that moles and voles are in the rodent family. (Surely, you know the disadvantages of that.)
    Please don't take offense.....I'm sure you wouldn't set a dinner table out for feeding a few rats? Thank goodness you don't have a problem with the little boogers. If you did, you might think twice. Even thought squirrels are a rodent too, this is a much bigger problem. :((
    Shiza

• cocomo49
    20 years ago

Shiza's right---& how would you think one would tell them where "their" garden spot is & train them to go there? If you don't have them, manybe you're not familiar with how they live & operate. I won't go into it, as you can search on these forums & get the info. I don't live in the swamps of FL, but you wouldn't catch me throwing dead chickens in my yard to feed the alligators to hopefully keep them away from my children or small pets. I'm glad you've never had to contend with moles, gophers, or voles, but I guarantee you will change your mind if you spend months or years, as in asparagus, toiling in a garden to furnish food for your family, only to find them varmits reaping the benefits of your hard work, you'll change your mind. Good luck with your gardening & may the underground creatures never enter your domain! LOL

• lilbit_a_country
    19 years ago

When we moved here we had a huge family of moles upturning everything~ Fortunately we brought with us an excellent mouser...Now you say, but the cat will use the flowerbeds as a potty box...my solution to that is take your yard cuttings and put them around the base of a couple of trees, about 4 inches deep and 2 ft wide all the way around the tree. It makes a nice mulched look when the grass dries and it makes an excellent potty box! Also, it's easy to clean up and replace when the "potty box" gets full.

I've also heard pouring urine in gopher and mole holes will make them move on to sweeter smelling pastures.

• kymmieann
    19 years ago

I have a few moles my cat has fun with them. But I have heard Marigolds and Castor Bean plants are good to keep them out. Im trying Castor beans this year. Be careful they are poisonious though.
    ~kymmie