Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a Mature Wisteria

Posted by gardening_michy z8 Port OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 15:22

I have two Wisteria that are at least 5 - 7 years old. I have trained them straight up a steel pipe so they have a straight (twining/winding) trunk up to about 12 feet then they are allowed to branch out. I remove all leaves up to the 12 foot mark. We are building a patio cover and at least one of them has to move. I'm terribly worried they will not survive as I have read that Wisteria does not transplant well. Does anyone have any experience transplanting a fairly big Wisteria that turned out well? How big of a root ball do I need to take? I know I need to make it as big at I can - but how big is that? My husband and I will need to handle the move - maybe we can get a little help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a Mature Wisteria

if you REALLY want to save it call a tree service. they have a tractor with a scoop that clamps around the plant, then scoops out a big root ball. my parents had several trees moved when they put in a pool and the tree service did it in no time flat. i have no clue what it costs, but if the price is fairly reasonable it may be worth it to try and get the money budgeted.

keep in mind that the roots will be huge on this thing. i have no idea if wisteria runs deep or wide or both, but no matter what they will be about the same mass as the above ground portion of the vine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here