Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Bleeding Hearts

Posted by Deb__H Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 18:03

I have a HUGE Bleeding Heart plant that I want to move. It's at a spot that: 1. Has potential to be squashed by a basketball when the boys are playing. and 2. I will be replacing the retaining wall and it is growing right next to it. My question is, when is the best time to transplant it? Does the fact that it's huge mean that it can be separated or is it just one big plant? It's all done blooming for this year and starting to turn yellow. By the hot weather, it practically goes away.

Deb in PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Bleeding Hearts

Deb
Hi, what I would do is trim off all the yellowing foliage, then have the hole that you want to move it to dug in advance, then dig it up, and transplant it. They are really very hardy and should come back for you next spring without any problems. I've done this in the past, and it works well.
Alberta

o

Hi! I very easily separated and transplanted mine. I did so in June last year, spaded it down the center and it kinda yellowed and wilted some but came back this year as strong as ever. In fact it still came up at my old place where I had dug it out! (Get all the roots!)

o

Can bleeding hearts be transplanted and divided now and what special things should I do to give it a new start?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tips & Techniques Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here